Chapter 1

"Mommy, I'm going to be late for school." Emily cries out to her mother Lexi.

"I'm sorry honey, I overslept. It won't happen again."

"Mommy will you be able to pay for our Christmas excursion today? It was supposed to have been paid by last Friday. Miss Holloway says if it's not paid by tomorrow I won't be able to go."

"I will see if I make enough on tips today, okay Emily. Now, put on your jacket it's freezing outside."

Lexi zips up her jacket and tightens the hoodie. She tries to peer out the window of the door, but the cold created a fog on the glass making it impossible to look outside. They stepped outside into the frigid air and they could feel the cold seep into their bodies chilling their bones. Lexy felt like walking right back into Castle Inn, the Motel they were staying at. She grabbed Emily's hand and practically dragged her down the road.

"Come on Emily, we've got to hurry up or you are going to be late for school." She is almost jogging to keep up with her mother. It seemed much colder today. As they exhaled their breath turned the icy cold morning air white. Her nose and cheeks were red because of the cold.

They are both quiet, busy with their own thoughts. The only thing you can hear is the crunch of their footsteps in the snow and the occasional car driving past.

At the school gate she turns Emily to face her and bends down to look her in the eyes.

"Honey, remember after school to go directly to Mrs Kennedy. I will come and get you after work. And please listen to her and do your homework."

"Yes, mommy. Are you going to be home early tonight?"

"No, honey. I'm working double shifts. It's Christmas season and we're staying open later. They need me to work. But it's good. It's a little extra money for us. I will be able to buy you a nice Christmas present."

"Mommy, please don't forget the money for the excursion."

"I won't honey. I'll see what I can do. Now, off you go to class. I love you." She says and kisses her on both cheeks and watches while she walks into the school building.

Lexi turns around and walks in the opposite direction towards the diner she works at. Tears starts streaming down her face. She tries to wipe them away with the thick gloves she's wearing. The tears makes her eyes blurry and she stumbles over a rock she didn't notice.

She's already ten minutes late for the breakfast run. "I bet Thomas will have a lot to say about that." He is going to deduct an hour's pay again. She can't afford this. This means she's going to have to work late on Sunday as well, to make up the money. She always tries to leave early on Sundays. That is the only time she has to spend with Emily.

She neared the diner and could see the bright red garlands with flashing lights hanging in the windows. She loved working at the diner. It had a cozy homely feeling.

When she entered, joyful Christmas music were playing. It made her feel much better. Hope flamed up in her heart again. Christmas were a time of hope and miracles.

She had this exciting feeling in her tummy in spite of the hardship she had to endure the last seven years. She believed something good was going to happen.

A tall beautifully decorated tree stood near the counter with a huge silver star on top and a wreath with big candles decorated the one end of the counter.

Just as she was looking at the star, "The First Noel" started playing. "Wow, what great timing!" She said to herself. Oh, how she loved Christmas carols. She started singing along.