Chapter 12

I hadn't spoken to Mr. D in almost a week. It wasn't that I didn't want to, well it wasn't just that, but I was busy. I had boys to follow around and score, and I wanted to avoid him. 

The more he pushed for me to date him, the more I tried to hide away. I couldn't date him. I have hated him since the day he saved me from getting arrested. I don't know what switch in my head flipped, but I refused to act on it. He would always be that guy, no matter how different he tries to act around me.  

Yes, I was attracted to him and found his kissing very pleasurable, but it didn't change that fact that he was in charge of an annual game that consisted of praying on girls. I know, I know I'm a part of that same game, but Mr. D graduates this year, so I won't ever have to do it again. My debt to him is done.  

The only reason I was even in these games was because he said I owed him, and I did. My father wasn't one to mess around. He was a hard ass, and he would have killed me if had found out that I had got arrested. For the past three years I had been repaying Mr. D for helping me, and he had never shown any sort of interest before. I wasn't sure what he was playing at, but I refused to fall for it.  

Had I somehow become a supermodel over the summer? Hmm, I think not. Something else had to be going on.  

"Earth to Carlie," Blane sang from beside me.  

We were sitting together in the back row in the music auditorium where we held our rules meeting a few weeks back. With my whole avoiding Mr. D thing, I didn't get to see Jason, and I began spending more time with Blane and James, who was sitting on my other side.  

Apparently Mr.D told Jason what happened, and he wasn't too happy with me. I'm fairly certain that Mr. D added some fiction into his story, but I didn't care. I didn't want to have to worry about either guy. Although, a lot of my thoughts were plagued with images of Jason, who was sitting in the front row, ignoring me. Obviously I was worried about him.  

I had tried to speak with him right after it happened, but he would just blow me off. He would walk around and away from me like I didn't even exist. It hurt me a lot more than I like to admit. So there I sat, like a crazy love sick puppy, staring at Jason like he was my long lost bone. It's so much fun being pathetic.  

"Carlie?" Blane said again. 

"Sorry, I was zoned out," I smiled. Blane still liked me, and he still hit on me. He was constantly trying to take me out on a date, but I constantly refused.  

It was like he knew the other two boys were mad at me. He showed up the next day, after not speaking to me, and acted like nothing had happened. He went right back to the way he was before. Now see, this is why I don't understand how boys can say that we girls are confusing. I'm thinking it's the other way around.  

"I wonder what we're doin?" James asked beside me.  

Mr. D had called a fundraising meeting. He had finally figured out what he wanted to do and now it was time for us to get to work. We had to get in two fundraisers and he liked to have them both done before the games were over, that way we had tons of help.  

"Who knows," I said, shrugging my shoulders.  

I went back to staring at Jason's head when Mr. D entered the room looking amazing. He had on a black tuxedo and an exquisite mask that covered most of his face, except his nose and lips. The mask was a flat black, the sides curved around his face like wings. He looked like batman, only better.  

If he hadn't looked so damn good, I would have openly made fun of him. I mean seriously, c'mon, was it necessary to get all dressed up to tell us we were have a masquerade ball? No, me thinks not. That was the one thing that drove me up a wall, his dramatics. What guy does that?