fourteen

EDITED

I let my bags fall to the floor with a thud at the end of the bed as Elijah closes the door of the hotel room behind us.

We are staying in a very extravagant hotel. A lot of expensive and unique antique furniture. In the middle of New Orleans.

Elijah about talked my ear off the whole drive down here, which only took a day because he drove extremely fast. I thought we were going to crash at any given second. He asked me loads of questions, and in return he answered a million of mine about being an Original. I got to ask him all the questions I never got to ask Kol. Things about their lives as humans, and how they were all originally witches before they were vampires.

I raise an eyebrow at him and then look at him and then the bed.
Elijah notices my hesitation in what to do, so he stops and thinks about what he wants to say,

"I'm sleeping on the couch, Evelyn. Don't worry."

"Thank you," I smile at him before deciding that I want to explore the room.

I walk over to the French doors that open onto a balcony, I go open them and suck in the fresh air to clear my head.
There's a presence beside me all of a sudden and I look to my right side and see Elijah.

"Yes?" I ask him turning to face him now.

Elijah's eyes search mine, a familiar feeling between us. We've become fast friends, I felt like I could trust him with my life.

"You loved my younger brother Kol, yes?" He asks me hesitantly.

My eyes move to watch the people below us in the French Quarter. Some were bustling around, needing to get somewhere quickly. Others walked lazily, enjoying the coming twilight. Street lamps light up one by one, casting warm shadows across the stone streets.

It was beautiful.

"Yes, I loved him so much. I would give anything to see him one more time, to tell him that I love him. We fought before he died, I wish we wouldn't have," I tell Elijah quietly, my eyes still searching the streets to distract me.

Elijah turns and starts to people watch with me, a comfortable silence settling between us.

"I brought you down to New Orleans, because I think I might know a witch who could bring Kol back. It might take a few years. It might not even happen at all. But I thought you should know," Elijah explains quietly, his voice serious, not joking in it.

A smile breaks across my face,

"You better not be fucking with me Elijah."

He lets out a bark of a laugh at my choice of words,

"I can assure you, I am not. I can't make any promises, but that is why we are here."

"But do you swear you'll try to get him back?" I turn to look at the thousand year old vampire now, tears welling in my eyes again. God, I'm such a baby.

Elijah places a gentle hand on my shoulder, squeezing it slightly,

"I swear to do everything in my power to get Kol back, for my family, and for you."

And just like that I had a new best friend. A new person to add to my budding group of people I genuinely cared about.

** three hours later **

I roll over, waking up from my sleep. This pulsing pain cascades through my whole body. I was sleeping quietly curling up in the large bed.