Chapter Three: Gringotts

Chapter Three

The next morning, Professor Longbottom, the head of the Hufflepuff House, passed out of the students’ schedules. Today they had Potions, History of Magic, and Transfiguration. They ate breakfast in the Great Hall and hurried off to class.

                One the way to Potions with the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaw first years, Al couldn’t help but feel a bit apprehensive; James had said Gruen was the worst, and even Mattie, who had a considerable amount of respect for her teachers, thought she was crazy. They walked in the classroom and sat down at two empty stools. When Professor Gruen came in, his suspicions were confirmed.

                She stood a little taller than average, back ramrod straight. Her matted curly dark hair hung in a thick braid down the back of her neck. She was dressed in an ankle-length black dress and wore heels. Her eyes were different colors, one green and one brown. On closer examination, so were the eyes of the black cat that followed her and wrapped around her ankles when she stopped in front of the class.

                “H-hello class, it i-is a pl-pleasure to have you all i-in m-my class this t-term.” She spoke with a speech impediment, her words uneven and broken. “O-open-n your t-texts t-to page one.”

                The lesson continued slowly. At one point the cat leapt up on one of the tables.  It prowled over to where Evie sat and stared at her with its two-colored eyes, its fur on end. Evie leaned back in her seat, whispering, “Scram, cat.” It hissed.

                “DON’T touch Montezuma!!” she screamed, sprinting across the room and standing so close to Evie that spittle flew in her face. “How DARE you touch my precious cat!” The students stood still as if petrified until she said, “Class dismissed!”

                “But Professor—“ said Rosie, who was determined not to leave the classroom until she’d learned something.

                “No buts! Get out, all of you get out now. N-now.” Clutching the feline, she sat down and closed her eyes, muttering under her breath. “Oh, Monty, my poor Monty…”

The students didn’t waste any time getting out of there.

                “Whoa, she was something else,” laughed Eric as they walked to their next class.

                “That’s for sure,” replied Al.

                Next was History of Magic. They were greeted by ghostly Professor Binns and a proud Adjunct Professor Weasley. The lesson was dull, and Al found himself drifting off after twenty minutes.  He awoke when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up and saw Percy standing over him.

                “You know, the fact that I’m your uncle puts me in a contradictory position.  Now, I hate to do this, Al, but know that I’m acting as Adjunct Professor, not as your uncle when I say this.  I’m going to have to give you a detention.”

                “But Uncle—I mean Professor—“

                “Sorry, Al, but my decision is final.” So saying, Percy walked away slowly, making rounds around the classroom and not looking so sad for having to use his teacherly authority.

                A few seats away, Scorpius snickered. “Detention on the first day, Potter?”

                Al glared at him and tried to focus on his notes.

                “Didn’t you hear me? Detention on the first day, only a git like you could manage that!”

                “Leave me alone, what’s your problem?,” said Al, not looking at him.

                “Ha, like I’m the one with the problem!”

                “Well, yeah,” said Al, not following.

                “Oh, are you going to run off and tell daddy that’s I’m making fun of you? Daddy, Daddy, Malfoy called me a stupid git,” Malfoy whimpered.

                “SHOVE OFF, MALFOY!” Al yelled.

The class was suddenly silent. Percy spoke before Binns, smiling slightly. “Looks like you’ll be joining Potter in detention, Malfoy. Please continue Professor Binns.” The rest of the hour went on without further interruption.

                After lunch was Transfiguration. The students could see Professor Hugh in a chamber beyond his desk, where he was busy running his fingers through his hair just the right amount, flattening down his mustache, and once again, adjusting his necktie. A Ravenclaw girl sighed dreamily. After one final glance at his reflection, he strode into the classroom.

                “As you know I am your Professor. However, I am also a knight of England. To avoid confusion, you may address me just as Professor Hugh, the ‘Sir’ will not be necessary.” He smiled, showing all his teeth; Al even thought he could see his molars.

“So children, today we begin the fine and noble study of Transfiguration.”

                “Not like we had a choice,” whispered Eric to Al, as the professor changed a lizard into a candle, to the general oohs and aahs of the class.

                “…As an Animagus myself, I believe that it I am justified in saying that I am an expert in the subject of changing animals and objects into others.” At this, he suddenly dropped in height, down to a mere two and a half feet and began to sprout blue and green feathers.

                “A peacock?” spat Scorpius. “Really, you must be joking!”

                The lovestruck Ravenclaw girl rolled her eyes at him and silenced him, saying, “Shut up, I think it’s majestic!” And sighed again, gazing at the beady-eyed Professor Hugh. The rest of the class giggled behind their hands.

                He morphed back to his human form. “Now then, that’s got your attention, I daresay. You, however, are not quite as advanced as I am, but I assure dear students that you too can rise in ability and become great wizards someday.”

                “More like performance artists,” Eric muttered. Al elbowed him to keep it down, but smiled anyway.

                They began by attempting to change a Cornish Pixie into a thimble. Even if they had the spell right, it all came down to aim, as the Pixies were squirmy and quick. By the end of the class, several were flying around and causing mayhem, pulling hair from various scalps, biting wands and fingers, and even having the gall to piss on Professor Hugh’s satin jacket.

                On the way out, Malfoy ran past Al, purposely bumping into him so that he dropped his books, sneering, “See you tonight, Potter!”

                “Can’t wait to see you too, Scorp!” Al laughed. Malfoy did a double take, breathing heavily and glaring at Al. He looked like he was about to hex him, but thought better of it and left in a hurry.

                Eric patted Al on the back. “Well, at least we know what nickname to call him now! I just think Scorp sounds so much friendlier than Malfoy,” he said sarcastically.

                “Yeah, I just hope he doesn’t decide to get even in detention.”