Chapter Two: the Sorting

The students stepped of the train. Al scoured the crowd for people he knew. Then he saw a familiar face, and a large familiar face.

                “Hagrid!” he shouted.

                “Well if it ern’t the Weasleys an’ the Potters! Havn’t been givin’ yer Mum and Dad too much trouble, eh, James? And Al, a firs’ year? Already? Blimey!”

                “Good to see you, Hagrid,” Al said, beaming up at him.

                “Well, off you get, firs’ years to the boats.”

                A crowd of first years was gathered on the shore of the Black Lake.  He and Rosie tried to stay together, but got separated just before getting into the boats. Al ended up in a boat with two boys, both strangers. They seemed to already know each other, as they were deep in a conversation that they made clear that Al was not privy to.  When he introduced himself, the pair ignored him and Al was left staring up at the castle and craning his neck around them, squinting to see how far ahead Rosie was.

                Suddenly he heard a splash.  It sounded close, like it was right next to him. He peered over the side of the boat and looked into the inky water. It was as motionless as glass. Then, in the dark depths he saw a rapid flash of light blue, which dove deeper and was gone. Maybe a fish he thought.

                He hadn’t realized he’d gasped until he noticed the two boys staring at him.

                The lanky one with limp blond hair sneered, asking, “Everything alright?”

                “Oh yeah, just thought I saw something in the water,” Al stumbled, “pretty weird.”

                “Sure, whatever,” the blond-haired one said, preventing Al from saying anything else, an idea Al happy with. He turned back to his friend. Al turned back to the water. The rest of the ride was spent in silence on Al’s part.

                After what felt to Al like forever, they reached Hogwarts. The two boys quickly climbed out of the boat, leaving Al swaying precariously. But then just above him on the pier he saw Evie from the train and she held out her hand to him, helping him get up. Herded by the Head Boys and Girls, the first years made their way to the Great Hall.  As the heavy door opened they all clamored for a view of the place; the endless ceiling, the teachers, and their friends and family among the already seated older students.

                The hall fell silent at Headmistress McGonagall's motion.  In the center of the front of the room was placed a stool, with a dingy-looking hat perched atop it. Al knew it was the Sorting Hat and felt more nervous than ever. Gryffindor, Gryffindor, he prayed, although the hat wasn’t even on his head yet.  A girl named Alexandra Abbot was first and quickly sent off to Hufflepuff. More names were called until the group of first years still standing, which had at first seemed to be endless, was obviously dwindling, as more students were whisked off to sit with their new houses.  Al noticed that the blond boy on the boat was named Scorpius Malfoy, and had been sorted to Hufflepuff, a choice he was apparently not satisfied with. More names were called. Al yawned and almost forgot why he was waiting. Then,

                “Albus Potter!”

                He jumped and then regained his composure and stepped up to the stool. He sat and felt the Sorting Hat placed on his head, covering his eyes. Gryffindor, Gryffindor.

                The Hat spoke to him. “Gryffindor…” it said, “But that is so like your father. We’ll see, we’ll see…  Definitely not a Slytherin.” Al breathed with relief.  The Hat continued musing, “…Perhaps a Ravenclaw? You are a very bright boy…”