Chapter 19 - Evelyn Mosby

Start from the beginning

"What do you mean Evelyn. What is the point of this now?" I asked. Where was she going with this?

"The point Archer, is that people spend forever trying to find the purpose of their lives. And when they can't find it, they throw it away" She smiled sadly, still looking outside the window even though my eyes were still set on her perfect face.

"Evelyn Mosby" She said, pretending to be another high-school student "The most popular and pretty girl that everyone is after and loves. She has everything that a person can ever need" She smiled sadly "That's what I was considered Archer"

I stood there silent, staring at her as only one question appeared in my mind. Who was Evelyn Mosby?

"But there was one thing I needed. The purpose. The purpose to live, and to be alive. I never found it honestly, and maybe that is why it always hurt. So I did what I thought was right for me" She said "I went away"

"What about your parents?" I asked, my voice a whisper now.

There was clearly way more to Evelyn than the world ever knew.

"I honestly didn't expect them to care. Like yes, they would have cried for a while but then I knew they would get over it" She shrugged.

And even as she said that, I couldn't see her as a rude person.

"It's not enough" She said, her voice even deeper now "To just have the air to breathe and a place to rest your head. A person needs so much more"

I gulped.

"Look outside Archer" She said, and for the first time I forced my gaze away from her face and to out where there were so many lights of other buildings that made the night bright, it was a breath taking view.

"How many people are living there, and hardly anyone knows the purpose of the life. I see them getting up every day following the same routine they do, and then go to sleep again. I believed, if I could make difference in the life of a single person, if I could give a single person his purpose, I would be able to die peacefully. Because I knew I had no point in living anymore, so I decided to give someone else the live I would dream of" She smiled for the umpteenth time, very sadly.

"And so you picked me" I solved the puzzle.

She continued to smile staring out of the glass.

My heart was beating fast in my chest, and I wondered  if she could hear my heart beats too. 

"I can feel my heart beating in my chest" I voiced my thoughts.

"That's the way you're supposed to feel for your whole life" She finally turned to me "That's when you know you're living right"

I remembered that in my dream I asked Evelyn to dance with me once we were done talking, but she had to go because she did not have enough time since it was a dream.

"Evelyn" I said.

She looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

"What do you think about the confidence of a person?" I asked her, wondering if her reply was going to be the same as it was in the dream.

"Confidence is the key to achieve what you want in life" She answered simply, just like she did in my dream.

"Can I have the dance?" I finally gained courage and said the words out loud.

She looked at me for a moment and then smiled.

"Yes" She said putting one of her hand on my shoulder as I put mine on her waist and we started moving, with no music playing.