Chapter 1 - The Client

Hey everybody! I decided to post this short story. It will be updated fastly and might be four to five parts. IT IS A ROMANCE STORY! Sorry I had to yell, but some people don't read this and I want them to know that this is a romance.

I will still be doing Being the Girl. The next update will be tomorrow. I hope...

Anyways, enjoy! Thanks so much for reading! Vote and comment please!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been doing this for a year now. It falls into a constant routine I guess. But it doesn’t get boring at all. Each day is different and unique; each client is different and unique. Some of them are easy, some are not, but they haven’t sent me one that I can’t crack.

I suppose I should tell you what I’m talking about: my job. I am basically a living, breathing lie detector. I work for the New York police. They send me clients and depend on me to figure out the truth. I’m good, not to be self-centered, but I’m really good. Better than all of the others, that’s why they send the harder clients to me.

I get the clients nobody else can crack. I’ve seen every person you can imagine from the typical tough guy, to the sweet grandmother. I’ve never met a client who doesn’t walk in and then drop their jaw. Their shocked because their told that somebody is going to interview them. They never expect it to be a sixteen-year-old girl.

I yawn and lean my head against the wall. Chief walks in. He smiles at me. “You ready for today’s client?” he asks. I nod. I was getting bored. Lately the clients have seemed easier and easier to crack. I haven’t had a fun case in a while. He opens the door and in walks a boy.

He looks about my age. He’s tall and very well built. His pitch black hair falls down and hangs around his forehead. He wears what everyone else does, a gray jumpsuit. He doesn’t look shocked at me. He just stares at me. I know this is going to be fun. He smirks at me. I smile at him. “Sit down,” I say motioning to the chair.

He nods and sits down. I look over at Chief and nod to him. He nods back and walks out. I sit behind a desk and he sits on the other side. He lays back and props his feet on my desk with a yawn. “Let’s get this started. I’m busy.”

I roll my eyes and push his feet off. “I’m sure you’re really busy in prison.” I grab his folder that Chief had laid on my table. I skim through. He has records for everything imaginable: stealing, breaking and entering, damage of public property, and that’s just the easy stuff. He hasn’t murdered or sexually assaulted anyone though.

I smiled at him. “So what are you in for?” I ask. He yawns and stands up. He walks around the room. He observes every bit of it as if he’s looking for something. The room wasn’t much. It was my desk and chair, the clients chair, gray, plain walls, and a door. He seems interested in it though.

He sits back down, props his feet back up on my desk and scoffs. “You tell me. You’re the one with my files. Is it bugged in here?” he asks looking around. I sigh. This is going to be a long interview. I hate getting smart-alecs, which includes most of my patients.

I push his feet off of my desk again before answering. “No. There aren’t any cameras or microphones. It’s just you and me.” I look down at his file again and quickly flip back to the beginning to see his name. Jett Adams.

I look back up and he’s raising his eyebrow at me. “So I could murder you and nobody would ever know?” he asked devilishly. I know he’s just trying to make me feel nervous around him, but I don’t.