The return

dedicated to my 12th fan!!!

.....................................................................................................................

My eyes bulged out of their sockets and a startled gasp escaped my lips. There was only one person who ever called me Bambi. But it didn’t sound like his voice, this voice was much deeper and sexier.

I felt myself go slack, all the fight gone out of me. It couldn’t be. Not after two years of hoping, of waiting at the bottom of my stairs for him to come bursting through singing the 'Madagascar' version of Happy Birthday at the top of his lungs. Slowly I began to turn around. I kept my eyes closed and I was trembling. If this wasn’t him, I was going to die. I’d come full circle now so I was facing him, his arms were still wrapped tightly around my waist. Taking a deep breath I let my eye’s flutter open.

I was met by a steady grey gaze. My breath caught in my throat and tears filled my eyes. Those were Lucas’ eyes. My Lucas’ eyes. I’d recognise them anywhere.

Unconsciously I reached out and brushed my fingertips along his cheek. The cocky smirk dropped from his face and he looked worried. I continued to trace the planes of his face with my fingers. His lips, his strong cheekbones, the square jaw, his eyelids. He was my Lucas, still the same, yet different. Older, more chiseled. He’d lost that cute roundness to his face that I loved; instead the sharp angles of a man took their place. Reaching up I ran my hands through his long silky hair. He’d grown it out of the short spiky cut, now it hung in his eyes, curling slightly at his ears. I preferred it this way.

I’d been so lost in memorising Lucas that I hadn’t felt him doing the same to me. I shivered slightly as the tips of his fingers brushed over my high cheekbones ever so lightly, as if I was made of the most expensive china and I might break. Tears stung my eyes again and this time I let them fall freely, locking gazes with Lucas.

The hard slate of his eyes melted and his frown turned up into a small smile. “Lucas,” I tried to say but it came out in a strangled whisper. He stoked my cheek soothingly.

“Shhh, it’s okay Bambi, I’m here now.”

I tried to smile but a loud sob escaped me. I jumped up and wrapped my arms around his neck. I felt his arms tighten around my waist as he crushed me to him, burying his face in my hair. I heard him inhale deeply and I could feel the wetness of tears staining his cheeks. Loud sobs ripped through me and I struggled to claw him closer. He was squeezing me just as hard, both of us trying to get closer to the other. He pulled me up and I wrapped my legs around his waist, his hands going to my butt to support me but I didn’t care. I pulled my face out of his chest to look at him again. He was looking at me too, eyes sparkling with moisture. I wiped away his tears and he let out a shaky laugh, balancing me on his hip with one hand as the other wiped away my tears.

I gave him a watery smile and nestled my face into the crook of his neck. He silently carried me back upstairs to my room. I heard him kick the door shut but I was too engrossed in the smell of him. He still smelled the same, no overbearing cologne, just his natural scent with a hint of crisp odorless deodorant. It was the wonderful, sexy, enticing, safe smell of Au De Lucas.

He sat down on the bed, never once releasing me. I pulled us so we were laying down and unwrapped my legs from around him. Lucas just shifted so he was on his side – like me – so that we were facing each other again. He pulled me close. I snuggled into his chest and felt his arms go around me. My heart swelled painfully, like it had finally returned to me after a long agonising journey. “I miss you, Lou.” I whispered, my voice still thick with tears.