Cole Fails To Cook (Again)

(Merry Christmas, everybody!)
"That's it," you call over your shoulder. "You are hereby banned from the kitchen!"

"I didn't know they were going to cook that fast!" Cole protests over the blaring fire alarm.

You look down at the black, rock-like substance burned onto the frying pan in your hand. "Were you paying any attention at all, Cole? These eggs must have started burning five minutes ago."

"I was paying attention to you. Does that count?" Cole asks hopefully as you head down the hallway.

"No!" you yell. When Cole got you up at five in the morning to help him make breakfast, you were hoping he was actually going to focus on learning something.

You hear Cole's groan and laugh to yourself as you step out the back door of the monastery. You use the spatula in your hand to try and chip some of the burned eggs off of the bottom of the frying pan. At least you can make scrubbing the rest of it off Cole's job once the smoke clears out of the kitchen. Serves him right for not paying attention.

A scuffling noise from the darkness catches your attention. You look up, then jump and drop the spatula when you see a pair of red lights in the middle of the monastery's backyard. They look like eyes, but what kind of creature has glowing red eyes?

"Okay, who's out there?" you demand, glad that you're still holding the frying pan. When there's no answer, you take a step away from the door. "I'm warning you."

There's a soft thump from behind you, and an arm wraps around your neck, trapping you in a chokehold. You swing the frying pan hard and manage to connect, earning an angry grunt from behind you. The arm around your neck loosens enough for you to take a deep breath. At the same time, you feel around until you find your attacker's foot and stomp on it. You hear another grunt.

"Help me out here!" the person holding you whispers. Cole?

"But-" someone else protests from off to your right.

The person behind you winces as you manage to hit him with the frying pan again. "We'll worry about that later, now hurry up!"

"All right, all right!" the other person (who sounds a lot like Jay) grumbles. "Keep your gi on."

A moment later, a gloved fist arcs into your field of vision and slams into your jaw, making you see stars. Your head snaps back and hits the person behind you in the face. Both of you yelp in pain.

You shake your head to clear it and glare into the darkness. "What is your deal? If I'm going to be kidnapped or whatever, I want an explanation!"

"Jay!" two more people yell, one from your left, the other from your right. You hear the sound of a punch-probably the one on the right hitting "Jay."

"Look, I'll take care of this," the guy holding you says. "The rest of you, get into position."