You Again?

True to her word, b/f/n set you up on a blind date with your newest boyfriend, (new boyfriend). You two get along great, but you can't seem to stop mentally comparing him to Cole.

You managed to drag n/bf out to the mall because the bakery there is having a pastry sale, but n/bf has been glued to the video games in an arcade on the other side of the mall for almost an hour.

"You promised we could look at pastries," you remind n/bf. He ignores you. Or maybe he can't even hear you through the giant headphones he's wearing.

Another few minutes go by while you make pointed gestures like folding your arms and tapping your foot. Finally, you decide that if n/bf wants you, he can come find you.

You leave n/bf to his video games while you make your way toward the bakery. Too bad Cole's not with you. He would have been just as excited as you are—

You stop and shake your head. Nope. Not thinking about him. You promised yourself you wouldn't think about Cole, or his soft black hair, or the way his eyes light up when he looks at you. You're not going to think about...too late.

"Get a grip, y/n," you mutter. "He threw you out. It's over."

You're so lost in thought that you don't notice the sound of running footsteps until someone bursts out of a nearby store and crashes into you, knocking you both over.

"Hey! What's the hurry?" you ask, glancing at the person who ran into you. She's a girl about your age, holding a shopping bag.

"Sorry, sorry!" the other girl says, picking herself up. She glances over her shoulder nervously. "I just...it's kind of a long story."

You laugh. "Don't worry about it. Hi, I'm y/n."

The girl shakes your hand. "(Random girl's name). Nice to meet you."

Over r/g/n's shoulder, you notice a familiar face making his way toward you through the crowd. Oh, no. Why would Cole be at the mall, of all places? At that moment, he notices you and starts pushing his way towards you through the crowd.

"Um, I've got to go," you stammer quickly. "It was nice meeting you, r/g/n. I hope we run into each other again sometime."

"Not literally, right?" she teases.

You force a laugh. "Of course not. See you later!" then you turn and walk away as quickly as you can without attracting attention. Maybe if you're lucky, you can lose Cole in the crowd.

"Y/n, wait up!"

Or not.

Okay. No weakness, y/n. You turn to face Cole and fold your arms. "Cole."

"Y/n," Cole says in the same tone of voice. "Long time, no see."

"What are you doing in a mall?" you ask. "It doesn't seem like your kind of place."

Cole sighs and rubs the back of his neck. "Long story." You try to ignore how cute he looks when he does that.

"I've heard that a lot lately," you mutter. Cole glances at you curiously, and you wave your hand in a never mind gesture. "Anyway, if you don't mind, I need to get going. Goodbye, Cole."

Cole opens his mouth, and for a heartbeat, you think he's going to ask you to stop. Then he closes it again and lets you walk away.