Your Birthday

You're in bed, trying to work up the energy to face the day, when something hits your window. You roll over and stare at the window. Another rock bounces off of the windowpane, then another. Funny, you can't think of anyone who would be outside your window this early in the morning.

You sit up, stretch, and pop the window open. As soon as it opens, you hear singing from outside. Cole, Kai, Jay, and Zane are standing in your backyard, singing "It's You" from The Music Man.

"It's you in the sunrise, it's you in my cup.

It's you all the way into town.

It's your sweet "Hello, dear," that sets me up

And it's your "Got to go, dear," that gets me down.

It's you on my pillow in all my dreams

'Til once more the morning breaks through.

What words could be saner or truer or plainer

Than it's you? It's you,

Yes, it's you.

(Oh, yes, it's you.)"

Cole grins at you. "Happy birthday, y/n!"

You giggle, climb through your window, and leap into Cole's arms. "That was incredible! How did you do it?"

Cole grins at you. "I've been planning this for weeks."

"More like years," Kai snorts. "You owe us, dude!"

You feel a huge, silly grin spreading across your face. "I can start paying you back right now. There's cake inside." Everyone except you and Cole runs inside, whooping and screaming.

Cole sets you down and smiles. "They love your cake."

"Not as much as I love you," you tell him.

"Aren't I supposed to be the one saying that?"

S/n runs out of the house, screaming at the top of her lungs. "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE! Y/n, the ninja are in the kitchen! They're in our house! One of them said hi to me!"

"I know," you say, rolling your eyes. "It's my birthday. They're having cake."

"Speaking of cake, let's go get some before it's all gone!" Cole adds. S/n runs back inside, still squealing. She's probably going to ask them all for autographs and be embarrassing.

You laugh. "I suppose it would be too much to ask to keep you from your cake for much longer."

Your dad chooses that moment to emerge onto the back porch. "Y/n, why are there boys in the kitchen?"

You sigh and roll your eyes. "They're friends of mine, Dad."

"Y/n—"

"Dad, I think I can have a few guys over for cake without getting in trouble."

Just then, you hear Cole yelling "NOOOOOOO!" from inside. You sprint into the house and see Kai, Jay, and Zane all laughing at Cole, who's on his knees in front of the empty cake platter.

"They finished it," he moans plaintively.

"Don't worry, I made a spare," you say.

Cole hops to his feet. "Really? Y/n, I love you even more than usual!"

You laugh. "I know. Come on, let's get you some cake."