Chapter 6

Merry Christmas everyone! :D

***

Monday was awkward, to say the least. 

When I approached Scott at his locker, he kept his eyes forward and adjusted the same book four times.

"Hey," I said awkwardly, gripping the straps of my backpack and shuffling my feet. Avi's beanie felt heavy on my head and forced my eyes downwards. 

He just hummed and I bit my lip.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled. "For Friday."

"Why are you sorry?" He asked. I cringed at his tone - he was never monotonous. "You didn't do anything wrong."

"What do you mean? Of cou-" I stopped myself and almost slapped myself on the forehead. Sarcasm, Mitchell. "Look, I was way out of line. I shouldn't have snapped at you like that."

He hummed again before slamming his locker shut. "I agree."

I waited for him to turn to talk to me, but he just started walking in the opposite direction. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes -- leave it to Scott to be melodramatic. "Scott, wait." I grabbed his bicep and yanked his arm towards me, but he jerked it out of my grip and kept walking. "Please! Just let me talk!"

"You already have," he called behind his shoulder, and dove into the sea of students headed for their classrooms.

My eyes widened as I lost sight of him. "Oh, no," I mumbled to myself, fighting off my panicked breaths. I do not need an anxiety attack right now, but my body had other plans. I've never had to spend a single day at school without him, and I don't know if I'd be able to handle it now. Especially now

"Scott!" I cried out after him. My voice cracked as my throat and chest tightened, and I tried to stave away that awful feeling before I started to cry. I shoved my way through the students, but I was much smaller than most of them and they just plowed right through me. "Scott!"

I heard my heartbeat pounding in my head -- could see the corners of my vision turning black, feel every body brushing against my own, and taste the undeniable copper of blood as I bit my tongue too hard.

Through my hazed vision, I caught sight of a blonde head bobbing above everyone else's. "Please," I croaked out to him as loud as I could. "I can't handle you being mad at me. Not now."

He froze in his tracks and spun on his heels, and his eyes finally met mine. I only caught the angry glint in them before it melted away and flooded with worry, instead. He shoved several kids aside before he caught me in a tight hug. I gripped onto his shoulders and my feet stumbled as he guided me to the bathroom, but he held me upright. 

"I-I'm sorry I snapped at you," I stuttered again, wrapping my arms around myself in a hug. "I-I'm not mys-self, and I-I-I-"

"No, Mitchy," he whispered. His strong arms were wrapped around me and I sobbed as he hugged me. "I didn't realize you were so afraid. I'm sorry."

I cried as he sang softly to me, and the roaring in my ears was gradually replaced with the soothing sound of his voice. 

"I just wanted to know what's wrong," he whispered. "You never hide anything from me."

Even in my mushy mindset, I knew I couldn't tell him about Avi. I couldn't - not with his feelings for me, and his obsession with the rebellion. So I made a quick call, even though my stomach twisted with guilt.

"I was sick," I said. "Just not physically. Mentally. My anxiety has been getting really bad." And it wasn't a complete lie, either. My random attacks had been coming more frequently, and I took more solace in the quiet of my room. 

His arms tightened. "I thought you were over your anxiety, Mitch. I'm so sorry."

I nodded into his chest and let my own arms wrap around him in a loose hug. "C-Can we pretend that... this didn't happen? Please?"

He sighed deeply but kissed my hair anyway. "Yeah. But I'm keeping a close eye on you. I don't want to cause another attack."

A blush rose to my cheeks just thinking about it. "I over reacted."

"About what?" He asked, pulling away from me. "Wait, what are we doing in the bathroom?"

I giggled breathily into my sleeve -- my voice was rugged. "Talking about boys."

He smiled and wrapped an arm around me. "You're gonna be okay," he said and led me out of the bathroom. My knees were still shaky, but it wasn't as bad as before. "Who's beanie is that?" Scott asked, pulling it down over my eyes. "It looks good on you."

I giggled and blushed profusely. "It's mine."

He laughed. 

I felt a huge weight lift from my chest -- nothing could ever stay bad between me and Scott, and it was a weird constant in my life that brought a sense of comfort. No matter what happens, he'd always be there for me to lean on.

Or at least, I hoped he would be. 

***

This is pretty short, but if a chapter doesn't need more than it has, then I won't add anything to it :)