Chapter Nineteen

*Christine's POV*
I take a deep breath, hoping that it will calm my racing heart. The crowd is waiting for the king so the performance can start. I'm waiting behind stage, but I desperately want to go onstage and find Erik, show him that I forgive and want him to take me away from this horrible place.

As I'm standing there, I begins to think about worse case scenarios. What if I really do fail the performance? Or what if the king is going to execute me because I was with Erik? What if the note from Erik wasn't real? What if Erik.....Stop Christine! Don't think that way!

Suddenly, I feel a tap on my shoulder. I jump a little from the touch, but see that it's only a guard. "You may go onstage now," he says.

I nod. "Thank you," I say before walking onstage. The minute I am onstage, I look out and see the crowd. This has to be the biggest crowd yet! How am I supposed to find Erik in this?

*Erik's POV*
I watch Christine walk onstage; my eyes not leaving her. I see her begin to, what looks like, scan the crowd. She might be looking for me. I can't draw attention to myself because I'm not allowed to be here, but I want her to know that I'm here. I suddenly hear the music begin to play. I sigh a little and just hope she'll see me.

*Christine's POV*
I hear the orchestra begin to play and I stop scanning the crowd, so I'll hear my cue. I take a deep breath to calm my nerves before I start singing.

Who knows when love begins, who knows what makes it start

One day its simply there, alive inside your heart

As I sing, I realize that all the lyrics are true. When I first meet Erik, I never would have dreamed that I would have fallen in love with him, but now I love him more than anything. I have to find him; I'm not leaving this stage until I see him.

I continue to sing, my eyes scanning the audience. Suddenly, I see him, right where he always is during my performances. My heart soars as his eyes meet mine. A huge smile spreads across my face as I look at him.

The next part of the song is coming up and I keep my eyes locked on him. I want him to know that this part of the song is only for him and no one else.

Love never dies, Love will continue

Love keeps on beating when you're gone

Love never dies once it is in you

Love never falters, Love lives on

Love never falters

Love lives on

I hear the audience erupt into applause. Reluctantly, I tear my eyes away from Erik's and face the whole crowd. As I'm curtseying, I watch the king climb onto the stage and walk next to me.

*Erik's POV*
She looked at me and smiled! She forgives me, wants me to take her away, and, most importantly, she still loves me. When she sang the last part of the song and her eyes were on me the whole time, I realized that she will always love me and I will always love her, no matter what happens to us.

"Miss Daae," I hear a voice say, pulling me from my thoughts. "I must say, that was your best performance yet." I clench my jaw as I see king Raoul so close to Christine.

"Thank you, your Highness," I hear Christine say as she curtseys.

"And because of your success, I now have an important announcement to make," King Raoul says as he takes Christine's hand, causing anger to course through me. I know what the announcement is.

"My subjects," he starts. "I have decided that it is time for this kingdom to have a queen. And after hearing Miss Daae's amazing performances, I have decided to make her my new queen."

Even though I knew that was the announcement, my heart still breaks hearing it. I see Christine look over at me with sad eyes before turning back to the king with a fake smile.

I look at Christine one last time before turning away and make my way out of the crowd. Don't worry Christine, I'll be back for you.

*Christine's POV*
I can't bear to look at Erik again because I might cry if I do. I know he's going to come back for me. I just need to wait for him. I don't know how long I'll have to wait, as long as it's before the wedding.

I feel something warm on my cheek, which pulls me from my thoughts. I see that it's King Raoul, he kissed my cheek. The crowd erupts in cheers as I stand there, shocked. I expected his lips to be cold, but it was warm. Maybe I just imagined it warm; there's no way it was warm.....right?

"Alright, you all may return to your normal lives," I hear King Raoul say. The crowd immediately begins to disperse.

As the crowd disappears, King Raoul takes my hand. I try my best to not make a face or pull my hand away. "And now, we will return to the palace and begin to plan the wedding," he says with a grin.

I put on my best fake smile. "Yes, let's," I say with fake enthusiasm as we walk towards the carriage that will take me to my new prison.
----------------------------------------------
Hey guys. I hope you enjoyed the chapter. I know it's short and I took forever to update. School has been hectic lately and I haven't had alot of free time. But I will try my best to update more.