Chapter Two

*Christine's POV*
I watch in horror as my father runs in front of the king's horse. It takes all I have in me to not run over to him and pull him away.

The guards surrounding the king pull out there swords and aim them at my father's chest. I feel fear well up inside me; I can't lose my father too. But to my, and everyone else's, surprise, he just laughs. He places a hand one of the swords and pushes it away. "I have something that you will want, my King," he says with slurred speech, making me cringe.

"What could a peasant, like you, possibly have that I want," King Raoul says, clearly annoyed.

"My daughter," my father says as he searches the crowd. His eyes land on me and he points to me. "That girl there. She has a voice so beautiful, it makes the angels weep."

I see an expression of interest cross the king's face. He then turns and looks at me. Surprisingly, I see his eyes widen and fill with.......is that lust!? "Bring her to me," the king says flatly to his guards.

The guards walk over and they each take one of my arms. I try my best to not pull my arms away as we walk back to the king.

Once in front of the king, he looks down from his white horse at me with a look like he owns me. "Is what your father says about you true," he asks.

I open my mouth to answer, to say that my father is drunk and doesn't know what he's saying. But before I can answer, the king interrupts me. "If your father is lying, he will be executed for lying to me, your king."

That's when I froze. He can't do that. Just because someone told him a lie. I know from past experiences that whatever the king says happens. I have to save my father, but my voice isn't that good. I have no choice; I have to help my father.

I take a deep breath. "It's true," I say.

"See I told ya," I hear my father say.

I close my eyes and take a few deep breaths to stop myself my crying. How could my father do this to me? Does he really not care for me?

"Excellent," I hear King Raoul say. "We will bring her with us. Bind her wrists so she doesn't try to escape."

The one of the two guards that are holding my arms takes out a pair of black metal handcuffs and slaps them on my wrists. I wince a little from the sting of the cold metal and the way they gnaw on my wrists.

"Come, we must return to the palace," I hear King Raoul say. Then turning to look at me,"We have to get her ready to perform." And with that, we start to head towards the palace. As we walk, I don't turn around; I know if I do I'll start to cry and I don't want to show the king that I'm weak.

We make to the palace quicker than I expected. Once there, the two guards bring me to the throne room, where I will be told what to do. As we walk, I begin to wonder what will happen to me.

My voice isn't bad, but it's not beautiful enough to make angels weep. What will the king do if I fail? Will I be banished, thrown into prison for life.....executed? I shake my head to get rid of the thought. I can't think about that.

Up ahead, I see two giant, dark wooden doors with two guards in front if it. Once we're in view, the two guards open the doors for us to enter. As we enter, I look around the room in awe.

The room has a high ceiling and a light gray stone floor. There are two large windows on the right side of the room with large, black drapes covering them. On the other side of the room are two thrones; the one to the left is large and ornate while the one to the right is small and ornate, but not as ornate as the other one.

We walk through the room until we are about ten feet in front of the thrones. The guards stand there, one holding my hand cuffs. "The king will be here shortly," the other guard says. I nod.

The wait feels like an eternity, but I eventually hear the doors open and the sound of footsteps clicking against the floor. I watch as King Raoul walks over to the large and most ornate throne and sit down on it.

He studies me for a minute before sitting up straight. "I need to see if what your father is true," he says. "So, you are going to have to prove this. I will give you a song to learn and you need to have it learned by tomorrow."

I feel my eyes widen. Learn a whole song in one night! Learning a new song is hard enough to do, but to perfect it too. It seems impossible!

"If you voice is as your father says, then you will have the privilege of marrying me," King Raoul continues. "But if your voice is terrible, then you and your father will be executed. Do you understand?"

I nod my head, trying to process everything that just happened. Either I sing perfectly and I get to marry the king, an arrogant and evil man, or I sing horrible and me and my father die. I don't want to marry the prince, but I don't want my father or myself to die.

"Take her to the cottage in the woods," King Raoul says. "Lock her in and make sure there are no ways for her to escape." The guards nod in understanding and grab my arms, taking me to the cottage which will change my life, even though I didn't know it yet.
----------------------------------------------
Hey guys I hope you enjoyed this chapter! This are getting interesting now and I have a surprise for the next chapter :) but you're going to have to wait and find out what it is.