Chapter Seventeen

*Author's note. Just a warning; This chapter is full of feels. You have been warned*
*Christine's POV*
Some time after Erik is taken, I am able to calm myself down and stop crying. As I sit, my mind begins to wander and think about what is happening to Erik. Is he being tortured, being given a death sentence, or...Christine, don't think that way!

After taking a deep breath, I begin trying to think of something else, but it doesn't work. I would be able to calm down if I knew what was happening to Erik. Suddenly, as if on cue, I hear the click of the lock.

I look at the door and standing there is Erik, looking the same way he did before he was taken. Joy replaces the fear as I stand and run up to Erik, tightly wrapping my arms around once close enough to him. But Erik doesn't return the hug; his body stiffens at my touch.

Confused, I pull away and look at him. "Erik, are you okay," I ask as I take one of his hands in mine.

Erik sighs as he pulls his hand out mine, making me even more confused and a little hurt. What happened? "The king talked to me and made a deal with me," he says.

I stand there surprised for a moment. Why would Erik make a deal with the king; he hates him. "What's the deal," I ask.

"He said that if I would leave his kingdom, I would never have to worry about his guards chasing me," Erik says. "I would be free to go where I please."

I smile. "That's amazing," I say. "When do we leave?"

"That's the problem," he says, making me nervous. "Only I am going, you are to stay here."

I feel like someone just slapped me. "What," I say, not wanting to believe my ears.

*Erik's POV*
I see the look on Christine's face and it causes my heart to break a little, but I don't show it. "I'm sorry, Christine," I say. "It was an offer I couldn't refuse." I'm not lying, it was either leave or watch her be tortured.

I see Christine's eyes begin to water a little. "Did you try to ask if I could go with you," she asks.

"Why would I," I ask her. "The king would have said no anyway." I hate having to do this to her, but I don't have a choice.

Christine's eyes widen in hurt. "Is the king making you do this," she asks, a little angry.

"Why would he make me tell you this," I ask her in an slightly angry voice, making it believable.

"Because you have never treated me like this before," she says. "The Erik I know and love wouldn't be talking to me like this."

I know what I need to say and , as much as I don't want to, I say it. "What do you know about love," I say. "We've known each other for three days and you think you love me. You're just a naive girl who thinks that what she feels is love."

I see a tear escape from one of Christine's eyes. She quickly wipes it away. "Then why did you tell me you loved me," she asks, her voice quiet.

"Just to see if you are as gullible as you look," I say.

I watch as Christine shakes her head in disbelief. "No, you do love me," she says as another tear goes down her cheek. "All times we kissed, you must have felt something."

This is the part of the conversation I have been dreading; it's time to say it. "Why would I feel something," I say. "I never loved you."

*Christine's POV*
I feel my heart stop; what did he say. I feel my mouth open slightly as more tears slide down my cheeks. "What," I say.