eight

I scramble to my feet and run to get a jacket and shoes. Harry runs out the back door and glances around before he drags me out with him.

My body is almost immediately drenched by the pouring down rain. I grip Harry's hand tightly as we run off into the trees behind the bungalow. We wind through all of the trees as fast as we can, trying to get as far away as we can from the house.

Harry starts looking up into the trees as we run further and further. Eventually, we stop and he starts climbing a rope ladder against an extremely tall tree. I look up and sure enough, there's an old treehouse. I climb up after him and he helps me up once he's at the top. He pulls the ladder up after me and tosses it right inside the small doorway. He uses some branches that had fallen through the small gap in the top to cover up the entrance. He pulls me over to the corner closest to the tree and wraps his arms around me.

We're both soaked and covered in mud from the knees down. I use the advantage of us sitting to throw my hair up in a ponytail to get it out of my face. Harry kisses my temple as I lean back into him, still trying to catch my breath a little.

"I'm scared," I admit quietly.

His arms squeeze me tighter and I curl into his body. His skin is cold by the touch but his body as a whole is like a heater.

"I don't want to play a game of 'what if' but I want you to know that you're one of the greatest girls I've ever met and that these past few weeks have been amazing," he says in a whisper. "And I'm serious about what I said. I'm falling more for you every second."

I take his hand in mine and squeeze it. My head falls into the crook of his neck and I start to feel tears well up in my eyes. "Stop," I cry. "Stop talking like I'm never gonna see you again. I can't lose you."

"Olivia," he hums. "Look at me."

I sniffle and lift my head to look at him. My entire body tenses when I hear a dog barking in the distance. "Did you he-"

Harry covers my mouth with his hand and nods. His hand is removed and quickly replaced with his lips. I match his actions and cling onto him for dear life.

"We'll be okay."

That's the last thing he says before complete silence falls between us. We listen closely as footsteps get closer and closer to our location. The dog barks again and I tense when I hear just how close it is.

"Boss, their footsteps just end!"

"Well, find them! And get that rotten dog to stop barking at the trees."

It takes everything in me to hold back my crying. I didn't want to die. I didn't want to lose Harry. I just wanted to go home and be warm and be safe. I missed my mom. I missed my dad. I wish I could go back to when I was seven and everything in my life was perfect. My mother was alive; my father wasn't sick and dying; I had a baby brother on the way; I was surrounded by so many lovely people and I could just sit and play practically all day long.

"Hey, look up there!"

Yup. We're goners.

Harry stands carefully and grabs some old stuff that's in the corner. He hands me his pocket knife and I hide it in my bra, while he takes an old metal shard that was buried in the pile of random items.

Harry helps me stand and he looks me straight in the eyes. "We're strong. We can do this," he whispers. "You're father didn't put us in training for nothing."

I nod and kiss his lips once more. Everything was about to get really hectic and really quickly. I can hear a man climbing and I don't know how close he is.

The branches were removed and a man crawled in on his hands and knees. He looks at our feet and slowly glances up, with a look of fear in his eyes.

"Hi, mate," Harry smiles. The guy looks at him with confusion but it isn't long before Harry shoves him back out of the treehouse.

Harry takes the rope ladder and ties the frayed ends in a hurry. He twists it up and then sets it down. He takes a piece of blanket (also in the pile of items, I'm pretty sure it's a blanket but it's so old and gross it's hard to tell) and rips it in half. He tied them around my hands and then kisses my head.

"When I yell, come down. You should be able to slide right down."

He throws the rope ladder out and takes it in his glove covered hands. He smiles at me before he jumps down. I close my eyes and take a deep breath, waiting for his yell.

"Liv, now!"

I do the same as him, letting my hands slide right down the rope of the ladder. I land right on top of a man, knocking him to the ground. There's three men, besides the two already knocked out. Harry's battling two of them and the other has his eyes on me. He grabs my wrists and tries to handcuff me but I knee him in the crotch and then kick his legs out from under him.

I watch as he falls to the ground and I kick him continuously in the stomach. I stomp down on his hand as it tries to desperately grab onto my leg to stop me. He cries in pain, grasping his hand in agony. I jump on both hands, most likely breaking a few bones in his fingers.

I glance over at Harry, who's taken down the men he was fighting. All of them laid on the ground either groaning in pain or unconscious.

"I thought you blockheads were supposed to be heavily trained," I scoff.

Right as I finish my sentence, I hear more yelling. There's about ten more men running towards us. We fought off five, but I'm not sure if we can take on ten.

Harry looks over at me with concerned eyes. He was even unsure about this. Which definitely means we're goners.