one

"With all due respect, Sir, I just don't think that Princess Olivia is prepared to be Queen of our country."

I sit there, my posture perfect and my manners incredible, feeling extremely out of place and bored. The room consisted of ten men and one other woman besides me, who was clearing the table and providing drinks. She was like a mother to me, since mine passed when I was seven. Her name is Julia. She gave me a knowing look and I tried my best not to laugh. These men were all incredibly sexist, except for maybe two of them. One thing I plan on doing is introducing more women into the palace that can help me lead.

"I think she's perfectly ready," Christopher, who was my father's right hand man up until his last breath, said and looked over at me. "Her father raised her. She was born ready."

"Just because King Ethan raised her, does not make her ready for the throne," a man replied angrily. "I don't think a woman is fit for the job of running our country."

"Excuse you," I say. "This may be out of my place to say, but I would prefer if you weren't so rude and sexist to me. I think I am ready to lead this country and I strongly believe that women can do anything they want."

Christopher smiles proudly while some of the men glare and others are in shock by my words.

"Close your mouths. And it is not polite to stare, gentlemen."

They all sit up and return to their original posture and some of them clear their throats. Masculinity is so, so fragile. It cracks me up. I've spent most, if not all, of my life around these guys and they all think I'm incapable of doing anything. They also think I have problems speaking up for myself. They're extremely wrong about both.

"Even if you are prepared, Princess, there's a threat of war with General William and his men."

"Then we get our military on guard."

"Our military is a mess, since your fathers passing nobody has stepped up to lead them."

I glance at Christopher and give him a pleading look. He sighs and nods his head.

"I will take charge of the military to make sure they are ready for anything General William might try. In the meantime, we need to focus on putting our government in order. King Ethan wanted us to continue with building the ways of democracy into our system and I think we should get to work on that. However, I need to accompany the Princess to a meeting. So we will continue with this conversation soon. I plan on talking to the troops immediately after our meeting."

Christopher stands and holds his arm out for me to take. I stand and politely bid goodbye to the men at the table. I smile at Julia on the way out of the room and she wishes me good luck. Once we're out of the room, I glance at Christopher.

"What does everybody know that I don't, Chris?"

He smiles. "You sense suspicion. Your mother was the same exact way, you know."

"That didn't answer my question, you know. You're just like that politician that visited last month."

He chuckles and leads me upstairs. "You'll see in a minute."

"Where are we going?"

"I appreciate that you want to know the situation, but I cannot speak of it outside of the meeting that we're about to go into."

I nod and fall silent while he continues to lead me to wherever we're headed. He leads me into the tailoring room, where all of my gowns are made and where all of my clothes are stored. This palace has so many unnecessary rooms.

A young man, who looks to be about my age, stands when we enter. He bows at my presence and I respond with a slight nod of my head and a small curtsy. I always feel so awkward when it comes to greeting people.

"Princess Olivia, this is Harry Styles. Your protector."

"I beg your pardon?" I look at Christopher with confusion.

"Your father always feared that General William would try and invade. When he found out he was ill, he and I searched for a young man like Harry here, who could protect you in case something does happen. He's been through extensive training and will take you into hiding if there is an immediate threat towards you. Only I know of the locations he will take you to if that happens, so you will be completely safe."

"So let me get this straight," I raise an eyebrow in confusion. "In the country's time of needing a leader, you want me to leave?"

"We cannot risk your death, Princess. You are the only person in line for the throne, since you have no siblings or cousins. If you are not alive and well, General William will take charge."

There's a knock at the door and Christopher leaves Harry and I to open it. Julia comes in, a large duffel in hand. "I've prepared the Princess' bag."

"You knew about this?" I gasp.

"Why yes of course, Liv. I was the one who urged your father to hire Mr. Styles."

I look around at all of them in complete disbelief. "How long has this been happening behind my back?"

"About two years, I reckon," Christopher answers. "Don't take it in a bad way, Olivia. He only meant well."

I look down at my feet and sigh. He only meant well, yes. And I greatly appreciate everything he did to protect me and still show his love for me even after his death. But he was also having all of my loved ones keep secrets from me. Which is one thing that I absolutely hate.

Julia is called off somewhere so she hands Christopher the bag and bids farewell. Chris sets the bag down on a chair and glances at me.

"Inside this bag is everything you might need in the situation where you have to be rushed into hiding. There's clothes, money, and first aid. There's also a tracking device that I planted inside an earring, so I can track you if I need to. Only I can track it, so don't fear that the enemy will find you."

"How do you plan on even getting me out of here if we're attacked?"

As if my words marked a cue, there was a loud explosion outside. Harry dives and hovers over me as the window shatters and glass starts to fly everywhere.

"I guess it's time for you to find out," he says in a rush. Chris hands us our bags, shouting over the loud noises. Harry swings both bags over his shoulders and looks at Christopher for an order.

"Get her out of here! Now!"