Chapter 1

Lace's P.O.V.

----------------

(Before)

I wake up to a cold room. Chills rolled up and down my spine and throughout my toes as my bare feet pressed against the cold, hard cherry-wood floor. My ugly wallpaper was peeling and the wood was showing through the wall. I might keep it like that. I like it. My hands met the doorknob that feels like someone had left in in the freezer for a day. I grab my soft black robe and wrap it around my body. It didn't do much at first because the cold air found it as a place to hide. I walk through the long dark hallway upstairs to the thermostat and see it is 29°F. Quickly, I turn it to about 80°F and the heater kicks on. I go to my parents room to see if they were still in bed, which they weren't. The stairs creaked as I made my way down to the first floor. As soon as I'm down, I go to my right which is the kitchen and my mom had left a note on the counter for my dad. It reads, 'Dear Sanguine, my love, I will be back soon. I left you and our daughter some breakfast on the counter. I will see you soon. Love, Annalise'.

I go to my fridge to get some orange juice when I notice another note. From my dad to me. 'If you are reading this Lace, don't be afraid. Stay in the house I went to look for your mom. You might need to warm up the food which might be cold by now. Anyways, I love you. I'll get back to you soon. Dad'.

My heart pounds. I am so worried. Is she okay? Is he okay? Ugh I guess I will just get myself some food. But what if.. Stop it Lace. No more.

I get the orange juice and pour me a glass. After I take a sip, I realize that it is room temperature.

"Ugh.." I say in disgust. I only liked my drinks cold unless it was coffee. I look to see if the fridge is plugged in to the outlet, but it's not. Who would unplug it?

"Jenny! Get in here!" I say very stern. Jenny is my cat. She has black stripes down her back halfway and the other half is orange stripes going sideways. She is a blind cat that wonders around everywhere. She walks in and her head is down. I know she did this. She is guilty.

"It's okay Jen, just don't do it again." I say calmly to her as I set her down. But one thing. Why was the temperature turned down so low? Jenny most definitely couldn't have done that. . . so who did? I warm up the food my mom left for me on the counter in the microwave. While waiting, I go to the living room and turn the TV on. A girl with a doctors mask on appeared on the screen. Her eyes were blood shot and she was nervous.

"Oh no! Everyone please stay calm!" She said to the people screaming in the background.

"If you are listening, stay in your home. Keep away from windows and doors at all costs," I guess there are bad storms. I look outside to see nothing but a bright and sunny day. Well I do live on about 600 acres so I'm far from the city. The microwave dings and I grab my food. I go back and sit down to watch the news while I eat. The same lady was still talking.

"Remember to stay safe and just please don't-" A gun shot. She was shot. The camera falls and so does my food. Everyone is screaming with fear. Except for one guy in the background who kept yelling "Freedom."

-

~

-

~

🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁🎁

Hey guys I'm updating again so yay! I hope you liked the prologue. The next chapter won't be as graphic as this one. I know that because I already wrote it lol so I will update soon. Well, happy holidays! (PS, the pictures of each chapter are just little relations to the story and this one is Jenny the cat, I found her on Google 😂lol)

Xoxo, Sydney Mercer