21

*JULIAN*

"Are you guys ganna match for Halloween?" Jovani asked me.

"I'm not sure, she hasn't mentioned it."

"If she wants to, will you?"

"Of course." I laughed. "Her wish is my command."

Jovani laughed at me. "Man we're so different in some ways."

I sat on my bed and crossed my arms. "How so?"

"You...do whatever Sierra wants with no complaints. But when Nalah wants me to do something it's like she has to pull my teeth. I'm a lot more stubborn."

I shrugged. "You always have been. But Nalah can handle it, that's why you've been together for almost a year now."

"Yeah." Jovani smiled. "I guess you have a point."

"Do you...think Sierra and I could last as long?"

Jovani frowned. "Maybe. I just think...college could get in the way."

Oh yeah, Sierra is a senior so she'll graduate this year. Sometimes I forget that she's a grade ahead of me. The topic of Sierra going to college made me sad; so to cut the conversation short I told Jovani I needed to go wash my hair. I don't wanna lose her...but the school in NY would be crazy to deny her.

When I got out of the shower I saw that I had a missed call from Sierra, which scared me because she never calls without texting to ask if I'm busy first.

I called her back and waited anxiously to hear her voice.

"Julian!"

She sounded happy so I took a deep breath and relaxed my hand, which was previously clenched in a fist.

"I got into USF! I just got my acceptance letter! Oh my God!"

"Babe that's great! That's amazing! We should celebrate!"

"I am. My parents wanna take me out to dinner and I want you to come, I invited Lyla also."

"Sounds great babe. You know I'm there."

"Ok, so we'll pick you up in two hours."

"Alright. Um, how fancy should I dress?" I asked.

"Not suit and tie. Mmm...maybe your gray button up shirt and black pants."

"I can do that." I said.

"Awesome. I'll see you soon." She said, hesitating. "And Julian..."

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up the phone and sat on my bed for a few minutes, frozen. If Sierra stayed in Florida and went to USF there's a chance we could make it work...but I know the photography school is what she really wants. She wants to be with her sister and she wants to pursue her dream career. I could never ask her to give that up for me, no matter how in love we are.

When it was time to go and I heard the doorbell, it hit me. Did Sierra recieve another college letter in the mail too? Or just the one from USF?