Part 2

Not proof read so forgive mistakes

**********

He was lost.

But how? It was not like he had been wandering aimlessly into the forest, he had been following the path that would lead directly to the city when of a sudden he found himself surrounded by trees no clear path in sight and dread settling in the pit of his stomach.

Though dread wasn't going to fuel the large man to the city and he had ran out of food.

He tried not to panic, however it seemed like there was nothing else to do. He had failed his daughter, he had failed his wife, If he couldn't return to his family with at least a little something, anything to show for he would get disgrace.

No.

He was fine and completely capable of finding his way back to familiar ground, he was a strong man. He would always be there for his family and goddammit he would find a way back. He wasn't even lost! He told himself.

Just as the panic in Tom's head began to eat away at his resolve a castle came into view.

It was his lucky day! Civilization, hopefully there would be servant or a guard kind enough to point him In the right direction, maybe even hire him for an event! Oh his Lucky stars shined upon him, he thought as he made a dash for the dark, looming extravagant castle.

Inside he saw no one, not a single servant nor guard. Already Tom was beginning to worry again about his choices; however, when he saw a large table filled with all types of warm fresh meals his stomach groaned in delight and upon seeing a small white card with only the word eat written on it, he didn't waste a second diving into the food.

The food was absolutely delicious and filled stomach to the brim, while it struck Tom extremely odd as to how and why in this strange castle someone was helping he'd rather not question his blessing.

Though, he did feel regret when it was time for him to leave and there was no one to thank.

As Tom made his way out of the castle he saw that the day was steadily ending, the sky already dark blue and sprinkled with an early star or two, and there was another white card next to a cushion and blankets that said sleep.

Marinette said not to do anything rash, the forest is dangerous at night. It seems I have no choice, Tom thought as he allowed the warm blankets to envelop him.

**********

At home Marinette was helping tidy around the house, the sweet melody her mother was humming helped calm a little Marinete's nerves but she was still left nervously wringing her hands together and with a nagging thought in her kind.

"Is the reason papa was so keen on leaving for the city because," Marinette was looking down at the broom in her hand, "because he wanted me to have a dowry?"

"honey, we-"

"if papa gets hurt it would be my fault," Marinette swallowed the lump in her throat, "if he doesn't come back it would be all my fault"

"now Marinette - " Marinette's mother was cut off

"if he is out there in the forest risking his safety just for me, just for some idiotic reason like a dowry, I- I have to go after him I have to-"

"Marinette!" her mother's shrill voice penetrated Marinette's thoughts, "yes one of the reasons your father went was to help us save enough money for your dowry but he chose to do this, it was his decision and more customers is never a bad thing. Marinette by no means will I allow you to go after your father, and should anything happen, it is not your fault."

"yes mama" Marinette said her fingers clutching the broomstick and her mother's words still ringing in her head, dowry, my dowry, father.

With deep breath Marinette's mother composed herself and placed a hand on her daughter's shoulder, "why don't you go work on your designs while I prepare dinner, I know how much you enjoy it. And please promise me you go after your father"

"thank you mama, I promise"

With one last kiss on Marinette's forehead, her mother turned away and so did Marinette taking small steps to her room. Oh how she hated to lie to her mother.

**********

That night after dinner and her mother had retreated to her small empty bedroom, Marinette made a promise to herself that when she returned her mother would no longer have to sleep alone at night worrying about her husband, but then again Marinette was about to prove how lousy she was at keeping promises.

With a bag filled with a blanket and some food Marinette fled in the middle of the night to the forest where she would find her father, she had to find him.

**********

In the middle of the forest on a dark night with only a waxing moon to light her path may not have been one of Marinette's cleverest ideas but she had no choice. How could she have slept at night knowing her father might be in danger,even before her father left she had a terrible feeling about this trip over past few days those feelings only worsened.

Yet there in the forest Marinette felt unsure, what if her father was already in the city making deals and completly safe, if that's the case then Marinette is only a worrisome fool out to get herself killed in the forest.

The deep crimson cloak she wore that stood out against the green foliage of the forest only made her feel like a target to any forest animal looking for its next meal. But it was thickest warmest cloak she had and she couldn't steal one from her mother. She would need her cloak for herself on cold days and Marinette couldn't bring herself to be even more selfish and deprive her mother, especially after Marinette broke her promise mere hours after making it.

The one nice thing about the forest was that the path to the city was clear and big, easy to follow so she was able to search the ground for any clues about her father's whereabouts.

Suddenly Marinette heard the snap of a twig and the rustle of a bush, frozen in her step Marinette twisted her head around searching for the source of the noise, praying that a lost rabbit would jump out of a bush and calm her fears.

When a brown rabbit did hop out of a nearby bush, Marinette could have kissed it, her heart stopped rapidly beating and she breathed in relief, chiding herself for being so skiddish.

That is until a blur of grey flashed past her and the bunny was gone, replaced by a grey wolf with the bunny trapped between its jaws.

A million thoughts ran through her mind, but the strongest one was run.

She took off hoping that the rabbit would be a bough of a distraction that the wolf would forget about her or at the very least give her a head start. She ran for her life that night it felt like an eternity of running she wasn't sure if she could hear the animal's footsteps behind her but she didn't dare risk a glance behind.

With her heart beat pounding in her ears she ran in between trees through mud leaving black dots against her once solid red garment.

By the time Marinette had finally slowed to a stop she was seeing black spots in her vision and couldn't help but collapse onto the forest floor, her fatigue making the fallen leaves seem like the best mattress in the world.

**********

thank you for reading please tell me what you think!!!