Twenty - Four

Steve's PoV

Steve stood in the Mission Room going over the plans that he and Howard had made earlier; plans for the next mission. It was to be a small team, himself and Peggy included with a few other hand picked agents, all of which had been on their last mission.

While the team may have been similar this mission was different. It wasn't in the USSR or even Germany. It was close to home.

It was in America.

Colonel Phillips had told him that they had Intel of something big that was coming, but it was classified, that closer to the time Steve would be in the loop of need-to-know, but until then he was to be left in the dark. That is, all except for a team list and a continent.

Despite his lack of information, Steve had helped Howard all he could coming up with plans, devising counter attacks and figuring out ways to enter buildings depending on the type. They dealt with everything they could, including problems and possible inhibitors, such as terrain, weather, injuries and equipment.

In his head, the Captain had gone through as many different reasons and scenarios that he could come up with for such a lock down on information, the most solid of which having to do with Peggy's mission.

Peggy.

Steve looked around the room, the normal hustle and bustle of the Mission Room in full swing and yet, he didn't feel like he was part of it. He felt out of sync, out of time with the rest of the room, as if his thoughts were holding him back, slowing him down. The concentration that creased most of the faces around him contrasted with the worry that was etched into his. While the others focused on each other or work, he was only half present, his mind constantly wandering away from the fraction of Intel that he did have to her.

Despite his attempts to distract himself, he couldn't rid himself of the feeling that something wasn't right, that something had gone wrong on her mission. He knew he had to believe in her, to trust her and he did. By god, he did, but right now his gut was telling him something bad had happened and he tended to follow those gut instincts, especially if they reinforced what his heart told him.

He sighed, running his hand through his waxed back hair.

"Just go and talk to Howard. Maybe he can put your mind at rest, tell you she's alright and that you can see her once she gets back. She's okay. Right?" He thought to himself as he chewed his lip nervously.

Steve nodded to himself and breathed in deeply before letting out a sigh. He grabbed the practically empty file from the table and headed towards Howard's office.

He tucked the file under his arm as he weaved his way through the desks and people and out of the room, wiping his sweaty palms on his trouser leg as he began to grow even more nervous.

He rushed out into the corridor, making a beeline to the office, willing himself to stay calm.

Once he reached Howard Stark's office door, he knocked four times, trying to keep his breathing even as he stood in front of the door. Steve waited patiently for an answer, but there was none. He knocked again.

"Mr. Stark?"

Nothing.

He cautiously opened the door and popped his head in to see if Howard was just in one of his moods, but he wasn't. The room was empty.

Steve swallowed. His mind turned to haywire. Every possible bad situation started flowing through his brain. It was probably just something like Howard had popped out for a bite or gone to the bathroom, but Steve's mind decided that something simple wouldn't cut it so he was going through every bad thing that could have happened.