56. A Brush with Adulthood

Start from the beginning

An evening of bad polite jokes and fake laughter awaited.

Her mother pointed to the seat next to William and Liz blanched. "You are to sit here, Elizabeth."

Knowing that she would be making a scene if she asked to sit somewhere else, Liz nodded quietly and took a seat.

His aftershave was empowering as she discreetly, in the process of pulling her chair in, scooted the chair as far away from him as possible.

As the conversation continued around them, William leaned in towards her and said in a low voice, "You certainly grew up nicely, Elizabeth."

Not even attempting to give him a smile, Liz merely glanced at him and mumbled, "Thank you."

Noticing her aloof behavior, William's tone shifted from seductive to polite, "Look. We both know what our parents are trying to do here. I just want to let you know that I'm very much against this stuff. I actually have a girlfriend already, even though my mom doesn't acknowledge her."

Feeling an odd sense of relief wash over her, Liz looked over at her seating partner with warmth in her eyes. "I so know what that's like."

Seeing that he was getting through to her, William served her a dazzling smile. "Yeah? You have a boyfriend?"

Not realizing he was fishing for information, rather than innocently sharing facts, Liz shook her head. "Nah. But my mom is..." her voice lowered to a whisper so that her mother wouldn't somehow hear, "...extremely controlling when it comes to guys."

He nodded, understanding on his face. "Which is why we're here."

"Exactly."

Liz had no problems talking to William after that. There was still something about him that rubbed her the wrong way, but she kept telling herself that it was his private school aura that was annoying her and not the fact that he at one point brushed his hand against her thigh or that when he leaned in to whisper in her ear, she could feel his hot breath against her skin.

For one evening she wanted to give up her paranoia that all guys had a secret agenda and just talk to someone that wasn't Michael or Max. She needed some variation in life, really. That's what was going on here.

Variation.

As the evening was drawing closer to the end, Liz excused herself to go the bathroom.

Five minutes later, as she walked out of the bathroom, she really hadn't expected William to be standing there. "Oh hey. Did you need to use the bathroom?"

He looked at her intently, not saying a word, and Liz felt her heart automatically speed up. For some reason, she suddenly felt threatened.

"Let's be honest, Elizabeth," William said.

When he didn't elaborate, Liz frowned, unconsciously pressing up against the wall to increase the distance between them. "About what?"

"There's this attraction between us," William continued.

Liz looked at him incredulously and a nervous laughter passed her lips. "Come on..."

He took two steps and closed the distance between them, pressing his body up against hers.

"What are you doing?" she snapped, the break in her voice revealing her fear.

His breath was sickeningly warm against her face as she tried to pull to the side to get away from him. But his hands came up to grab her by the upper arms, stopping her.

"Let me go!" Liz growled, trying to sound as menacing as possible.

Using his body to keep her trapped against the wall, he released his grip on her left arm and instead pushed his hand between their bodies.