56. A Brush with Adulthood

The Parkers' Residence
(2003) Max is 17, Liz is 16

"Elizabeth, go and wash up. We're having someone over for dinner."

Liz let her school bag slide off her shoulder and drop to the floor with a thud. "Who?"

"Some acquaintances of ours," Mrs. Parker answered fleetingly.

Liz narrowed her eyes. Her mother's evasive behavior immediately raised her suspicions that she was not going to like this. "I have a lot to do for school."

"You have to eat," Nancy said.

"I'm not that hungry."

Nancy's eyes grew colder and she fastened her eyes in her daughter. "Elizabeth. This is not an option. You're having dinner. End of discussion."

Liz sighed. "Fine."

As she walked upstairs to take a quick shower, she was certain that she was going to regret that she hadn't put up more of a resistance against her mother. It wasn't really the fact that her mother's dinner parties were about as much fun as pulling out teeth that bothered her. It was the nagging feeling that her mother was going to play another game of matchmaking.

Over the last year, her mother had been adamant at trying to find a suitable boyfriend for Liz. Liz never really understood why there was such a hurry to start with since she was only sixteen, but her mother was almost frantic in finding a proper future husband for Liz.

And her mother didn't disappoint.

As Liz walked downstairs to the dinner table one hour later, William Stanwood rose from his seat, together with his parents, to greet her arrival.

Liz sighed internally. William didn't attend Roswell High, but had been shipped off to boarding school at a quite early age. That didn't mean she didn't know who he was. His family was extremely wealthy and Nancy had made sure that Liz had met William already when he was a little boy. Liz was sure it was an attempt to get Michael and her to play with the rich kids instead of low scum like Max Evans.

Truth be told, she hadn't like William when he was six, she probably wouldn't like him now either.

"Oh, Elizabeth," Mrs. Stanwood gushed. "You've grown up into an exceptionally beautiful woman."

Turning to Nancy, Mrs. Stanwood continued, "You must be so proud, Nancy."

Nancy smiled warmly, seeing her daughter through Mrs. Stanwood's eyes. "I am. I am."

Liz felt the heat rise on her cheeks. She was not used to being complimented. Especially not in front of the watchful eyes of a boy.

"Isn't she gorgeous, Will?" Mrs. Stanwood continued and Liz felt her cheeks grow even hotter as she ventured a glance in William's direction.

There was an almost smug expression on his face. As if he knew that this was a set up by his mother, which inadvertently meant that the beautiful woman his mother was talking about was meant for him.

Like she was a trophy or something.

A cold chill passed through her body as his eyes raked down her body.

"Very beautiful," William agreed in a low tone.

"Marvelous," Mr. Stanwood said with finality, pointing towards the seats. "Shall we eat? I'm starving."

"George!" Mrs. Stanwood erupted with an embarrassed smile before addressing Nancy. "My sincere apologies about my husband."

This was followed by some good-natured laughter around the table, which had Liz fighting nausea spells. Oh God.