8. Shocking Revelations

Roswell High School
Prom night
(2003) Max is 18, Liz is 17

"Max? Max? Hello? Maaax?"

Max tore his eyes away from the entrance, where Liz Parker had just made an appearance, and looked down at the blonde in front of him.

"What?" he asked calmly, trying to erase the image of Liz from his brain.

"I'm getting something to drink, do you want anything?"

His eyes drifted across the floor, back to the entrance where Liz was smiling as she talked to her brother. Her date was standing close to her, an arm slung across her shoulders. He felt a twitch of something run through him and his jaw muscles tightened.

"Maaax?"

He looked back down at his date, her impatient expression telling him that he had annoyed her again somehow.

"Yes, Melissa," he said, with a slight edge this time.

"You didn't answer my question," she said.

He sighed. He should really pull it together. What was wrong with him? "Sorry. I guess I'm a bit tired."

She smiled softly, his excuse apparently satisfying her. "That's okay. Did you want something?"

His eyes drifted back to Liz and then he slowly shook his head. "No. I'm fine."

"Okay," she said. "Be back in a sec."

But his attention was already elsewhere as he moved towards Michael, Liz and her date.

"Hey man," he said, punching Michael lightly on his shoulder.

"Ahh...the manly display of affection," Liz said.

Max turned to look at her, as if just noticing her. "Oh, hello Parker. How are things? I didn't know you were allowed to these things. Not in another year at least."

She gave him a tight smile and pulled Alex Whitman into her side. "Max, you know Alex, don't you? He's in your year. He asked me to the prom. Which by my calculations means that I'm allowed to go."

Max couldn't help himself. With Liz, everything was fair ground. "What happened to Joshua?" And he cringed as Michael kicked his heel. Not very gently either.

Liz's eyes grew dark and Max felt his heart rate pick up. Did she have any idea how sexy she looked when she got all bothered and angry?

"He couldn't make it."

"Why not?"

"He was elsewhere occupied."

"I think I saw him earlier with Rachel. Here. At the prom."

"Max," Michael said in a clear warning.

"I decided to go with Alex instead. Joshua just had to find a substitute."

"Funny. I heard it was the other way around."

That's when Michael decided to pull on Max's arm and dragged him away from Liz.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Michael hissed out. "Why are you pushing this?"

"Sorry man," Max said, feeling honestly sorry now that he could distance himself from Liz. It was just being in Liz's company that...brought the worst out of him. He knew that he shouldn't press the subject. But it was just part of their everyday battle.

"You're fucked up, Max," Michael said grimly. "Leave my sister alone. She's been looking forward to this night."

"Whatever man," Max shrugged and walked off, glancing over his shoulder in Liz's direction.