30. Coming Clean

Wednesday afternoon
(2008) Michael is 24, Liz is 22

"How was your day?" Michael asked as she walked through the front door.

She shrugged, just wanting to get to her room. The conversation she'd had with Brenda in the car had upset her. She wasn't quite sure why, but it felt as if it had tipped the scales over.

"Is everything okay?" Michael asked as his sister barely acknowledged him, throwing her jacket on the floor next to the door before continuing her hasty walk towards her room. "Lizzie?"

"Everything's fine," she answered over her shoulder, slowing down and turning to face him.

There was no need to make him worry for nothing. Just be normal. You can act normal, Lizzie.

"I just walked the dogs. Fed them and made sure they were happy. There was actually this cute little...uhm...Schnauzer I think they're called. All he wanted to do was lick me. I would take him for walks but he wasn't interested in walking at all. He jumped up against my leg and... What?"

Michael was looking at her funny. It didn't take her long to realize her mistake. She was babbling. She never did that.

"You're sure you're okay?"

The corners of her mouth twitched nervously as she smiled. "Yes. They were so funny, Michael. You should've seen-"

Michael just looked even more worried and he interrupted her again, "What happened, Liz? Are they not treating you right? Because I can make a phone call right now and-"

Liz shook her head. "No no." She took a deep breath. "They are really good. They are actually really nice and helpful."

"That's...good," Michael hesitated. "Then what's..." He looked at her closely. "Something's wrong."

"I just had a hard last couple of days, that's all," Liz said casually and then added with attempted humor, "You know, it's difficult for a spoiled brat like me to deal with having lost her allowance and having to get a job."

And then she burst into tears.

Michael stared at her completely crestfallen for a total of three seconds before quickly walking up to her and guiding her over to the couch. As they sat down, Liz buried her face against his sweater, curling up against his side which reminded him of the numerous times he used to comfort her in her closet in their family home.

"Everything's just wrong," Liz sobbed.

"Don't worry about the money, Lizzie," Michael consoled, stroking her hair, "I'll help you out."

"It's not about the money."

"Do you want another job? I could see if I can find something for you. You don't have to work with animals if you don't want to. Max thought it was a good idea and you used to love animals when you were little-"

"It's not the job."

He was at a loss of words, desperately searching his brain for what could've happened that made her so upset. "Then what is it? What happened, Lizzie?"

"I messed up. I've messed up so badly."

"Whatever it is, we can fix it. I'll help you."

"He's always there, you know. Always there. And I've tried to get him out of my head but I can't. I can't stop thinking about him."

Michael tensed. This was about a boy? Liz hadn't been dating for a year. Not since Stalker Kevin had cheated on her. Who was she talking about?

"Someone hurt you?"