Chapter 10 Liz takes control of the takeover

ابدأ من البداية

"How do you know how many they have?" 

"We were subcontracted to build a motorway bridge and I spent some days in their office. Am I right?" 

"Yes." 

"You'd do better to say they shouldn't tender when we're on the same list." 

"That's a difficult decision." 

"Why?" 

"Well we're supposed to be taking Wolfenden over. It's controversial." 

"Come on, we must make the marriage as good as we can, that doesn't mean preserving the worst bits just because they're the right side of the bed. That's not uncontroversial, that's perverse. 

"I tell you one thing Liz, that top slot in Waterloo House isn't for those who make perverse decisions. You want it. You go for it. I know why they wanted this company, it's the system. OK, get our system to do Foot's work where we get a cross over." 

"OK, Graham, I trust your judgment."

"Right - what we have to do is issue a letter to all our Clients saying we want their valued business now and in the future, and that they can communicate with us as they did before. That the MD is Liz, and pending our getting new sales and commercial directors they should talk to Eric and Ray respectively as the managers, or if there's a problem to Liz direct. 

"Look, Betty you're as good a letter writer as any, why don't you put that together for Liz to look at whilst we discuss some other things." 

Betty nodded, and,looking less worried, went out. 

"Liz, why not get Foot's sales manager, Smedhurst, to sit in here for the time being, not the director - he's a fool. Smedhurst will get business for you, particularly if he's not held back by his boss." 

"Do you think I have enough clout to make that happen?" 

"You'll never know 'till you try," I grinned, and pushed the telephone towards her, "I think that your sudden prominence will make everyone far keener to please than they will be later on. Go with the roll. Have some fun. Talk to the MD. The worst he can say is eff-off. I don't think he will. I'd also hit him with your tendering decision." 

Liz made her requests persuasively and animatedly. 

Triumphantly and with sparkling eyes, she half shouted, as she put the phone on its rest, "Yess. He starts Wednesday, and they're going to E mail their list of current tenders." 

"Told you." 

"This is going to be fun isn't it Graham?"  

"Not all the time, and for some none at all."

"Yes, there'll be shitty bits, and casualties." 

"Another question are we going to honour sub contractors' and suppliers' bills." 

"No question. I hate organisations that don't pay and promptly. You do business, you pay your way." 

"Right that'll be Betty's next letter." 

"How will she know where to send them?" 

"All she has to do is create the appropriate selection criteria and it'll be automatic. 

"Nobody in this office can do business without the system picking it up. The central computer databases every transaction of any kind, and if it doesn't know how to categorise it, it comes to the MD's attention. I expect there's a few built up now. There Were lots at first, but we have a self -learning neural net. One of the earliest built into a commercial application.