2

It's been almost two weeks since I woke up. My whole family has come to see me every day, telling me about what's been going on and comforting me. Several friends have come by too, but the green eyed boy is no where to be found.

I think I have everything mostly figured out now, up until the night of the accident. I remember bits and pieces every day, and it's all like one big puzzle. The only piece that's missing is Connor.

I won't be able to walk for a while. The wheel didn't go straight over my leg,  luckily, so I have a high chance of recovery. I'll have to use crutches for a while though.

"Troye? You have a visitor, honey."

I look up, and in surprise see Connor, sitting down in the chair beside my bed hesitantly.

He looks terrible. His brown hair is a mess, sticking out in all directions. His green eyes are dull and lifeless, with huge eye bags that make me frown in concern. He looks so pale and fragile, as if he's about to break.

Maybe he's already broken.

"So, the nurses told me you remember almost everything. D-do you remember me?"

It's hard to crush the small bit of hope in his eyes, but I shake my head ever so slightly.

"Why don't you tell me about yourself? About our past together? That might jog my memories."

He nods, and takes a deep, shaky breath, his voice quiet.

"I'm Connor Franta, and I'm a YouTuber, like you. We became friends just a few months ago, but we've been inseparable. Best friends...two halves of one heart even.

"I'm into photography, you're into music, and we'd often stay up late at night, just scrolling through Tumblr and enjoying doing nothing together.

"You-you call me Con...or Connie Frannie, or Con-da-Bon..." a smile cracks through his stone face, before faltering once more.

"And I call you Tro. Tro-Tro, Troye-boy...we had so much fun coming up with those nicknames.

"Don't you remember? At all?"

I stare into his eyes, trying so hard to get the spark to catch. But it's useless. The friendship he's describing is not mine. It's another boy's, someone who isn't me. A lost boy, searching for path from my heart to my mind. The problem is, the path is gone.

"I'm sorry, I don't know you."

I watch as he crumples once more, before he stiffens, his expression turning to stone. Quickly he stands, stumbling out of the room and not once looking back.

+++

I'm being released from the hospital today. After almost two months, I'm all back to normal, except for my leg, of course. That'll be a few more weeks. 

I'm just so relieved it's over.

"Sage, I have crutches, you don't need to-"

"Shh, baby, knowing you, you'll trip in seconds. I'm better than crutches, anyway."

I send a pleading glance to Tyde. Steele, too, who came from Australia for me.

After much protesting, I finally give in and lean on my sister, practically giving her my entire body weight.

Which isn't very much.

The walk to the car is awfully long, and at last we all pile in. My mom stuffs the crutches in the back and we're off.

Of course, I have my own apartment by now, but my parents insist that I stay in their house while I'm recovering. Not that I'm complaining. We live more than two hours away, and I've missed seeing them every day.

At last, we're home, sitting on the couch together. Mum is fussing over my leg, and the other four are laughing and just looking happy to be together.

"Troye, this all happened because you got drunk. You're only just legal, don't make us regret letting you live alone."

Although she's scolding me, all I can do is smile. I'm so lucky to have a family who cares for me.

As the sun sets, the doorbell rings.

Tyler, Zoe, Connor and Alfie are standing at the threshold. Zoe and Alfie are visiting from England. Joe and...
Caspar are too, but they both must be busy.

At least that's one less fear to haunt me.

It's weird to see Connor here. My family all remember him of course, so he's not just going to disappear from my life. I guess I'll just have to start fresh, get to know him again.

"Troye! It's so great to see you!" Zoe squeals, rushing over to me.

My family greets everyone with open arms. Although it's a bit crowded, the more the merrier I suppose.

After a while the cheerful chatter gives me a slight headache, and I clumsily limp outside. The crutches are really inconvenient. It's dark by now, and the stars are glowing serenely.

I sit on the grass in the yard, not minding the cold. It helps me think.

Another silhouette appears at my side, and we stare up at the stars together.

His gaze is fixed on me as he bites his lip, but I pretend not to notice.

After a while he starts to cry, silent tears pouring down his face and soaking the top of his sweater.

I turn to look at him for the first time. He's beautiful, even at his worst. "Please don't cry, Con. I'm really trying to remember, I am. I just...can't."

He nods, wiping the tears from his cheeks, and sniffing. "I know. I know, I don't blame you. It's just..."

"We were best friends, huh?"

His mouth twitches, the corners twisting up and almost forming a smile. An echo of one, at least.

"Yeah. Inseparable. We did everything together."

My eyes absently fix on his lips, and my heart clenches. Why do I feel like I know how they feel, pressed against mine? Why does the thought of kissing him seem familiar?

It shouldn't.

It can't.

I push it to the back of my mind, and without thinking, lean to rest my head on his shoulder.

He looks down at me, and after a moment of hesitation, puts his arm around me. This doesn't mean anything. Right?

"Well, I guess we have to start over. I-I'm Connor. What's your name?"

I laugh, my eyes dropping. Just as I let sleep claim me, I sigh and mumble, "Nice to meet you, Connor. I'm Troye."