Chapter ④ Unexpected Reality

You faced Karamatsu for a reply, but he didn't hear a word you said, merely staring beyond you. His sunglasses slid down his nose and his eyes looked dead. He was taking in the vast scene before him, all his brothers spread out near the front of the house. It was unbelievable how much racket only five other people could cause.

Meanwhile, his brothers tried explaining why they blew their cover.

"I-It was all Jyushimatsu's fault! You gotta believe us, Karamatsu!" Osomatsu blabbered, pointing at him.

Ichimatsu was face-down in the grass, having been crushed by Choromatsu on the way out. Todomatsu appeared by your side trying to ask for your name, and Jyushimatsu was no longer paying attention to what was happening.

"Everyone, shut the hell up!" Karamatsu bellowed.

You nearly jumped, since you were standing next to him. Everyone froze at that moment. It was like watching a major motion picture. All of the bothers' mouthes stopped moving immediately, and all noises ceased.

"T-That's the first time I've heard him yell like that . . ." Choromatsu whispered.

Ichimatsu sat up at hearing the silence, staring from you back to Karamatsu. All eyes were on him to see what he would do next.

Karamatsu tore off his sunglasses and threw them to the ground. His face looked stoned, as if not bothered by doing so. His gaze looked over to you, making you tense unconsciously. However, he flashed you that charming smile he always wore, easing your worry.

"I'm sorry about all of this (Name). I hope I didn't upset you." He sighed.

Before you could reply, he began to walk away. He left you standing there, unsure of what to do. His brothers stood around you, looking uncomfortable.

"Look, we are really sorry about this! Well, it was my idea to spy on you guys, but ー" One of them began.

"What my idiot brother is trying to say is that you should go after him. We'll explain everything later." The brother dressed in a green hoodie interrupted.

You nodded nervously, beginning to run off. You waved back to them, signaling that you'd be back soon.

Your legs ached painfully as you finally made it to the bridge, where you assumed Karamatsu would be. Your eyes searched wildly, finding he was not there. Running across the bridge, you continued searching. Not paying attention to your surroundings you tripped over a rock planted in the ground. Giving a horrid screech, you toppled over into the grass. Tears sprang to your eyes as your ankle throbbed painfully.

"Why do I always have to be so clumsy?!" You shouted, tearing out fistfuls of grass.

Tears streamed down your face as your insides were jumbled up with emotions. You were anxious about where Karamatsu went, and if he hated you for the incident with his brothers.

"I'm sorry, Karamatsu . . ." You apologized in his absence.

"Eh? What are you sorry for?" He answered, coming from behind a tree.

You jumped, letting out a little scream.
Had he been hiding there that whole time? You thought. A blush creeped over your ears at the embarrassing possibility.

"W-What are you doing there? I was looking for you!" You sat up, trying to wipe your face.

"Looking for me? Hey, were you crying just now?" He bent down next to you, his face full of concern.

"N-No! I-I mean, what would it matter?" You looked away.

"It matters a lot. . . Pretty girls like you shouldn't cry, (Name)." He whispered, placing a hand to your cheek.

Out of anxiousness and embarrassment, you pushed him away, making the pain from your ankle return.

"Ouch!" A hand flew to your injury.

"Did you hurt yourself, too? I'll take you back to my house and we'll get you fixed up." He patted your hand for reassurance.

"Are you s-sure? Even after what happened?" You looked at him worriedly.

He nodded, seemingly unbothered. Before you knew what was happening, Karamatsu placed his strong arm around your torso and the other under your legs. He was carrying you princess-style, careful not to touch your ankle. You blushed, instinctively wrapping your arms around his neck.

"Don't worry, (Name). I won't drop you." He smirked down at you.

"O-Okay!" You nuzzled into his chest.

He carried you over the bridge, leaving you to feel the cool breeze and a bit of sun on your face. The tranquil surroundings and steadfast movements lulled you to sleep . . .