Chapter ② Vintage Bouquet

You woke up early the next morning, the sun barely peeking through your window. Your thoughts returned to the meeting of that man ー Karamatsu, as he was called. Some part of you hoped to meet him so that you would have a friend who lived around here.

Yawning, you sat up to adjust the curtains over your window. Just as you pulled them apart, you noticed someone walking from the house across the street. He wore a blue jumpsuit today, with the collar up and the shades you recognized from yesterday.

'Oh my gosh, Karamatsu is my neighbor from across the street?' Thoughts were scrambling around in your head as you poked around in the closet.

Your heart was pounding and you weren't sure why. Were you actually excited to see Karamatsu around? Perhaps, but you needed to move quickly if you were going to catch up to him.

After about five minutes, your outfit was complete with a halter top, capris, and converse shoes. You sprinted out the door in record time as your eyes scoured the streets for the strange man. You searched frantically around one block and then the next. Stopping by a mailbox, you crouched down to rest.

You didn't know how long you had been running, but you were going to give up on the search. Just as you were about to get up to go home, you heard a familiar voice at a flower shop.

"Do you give discounts on the roses~?" You heard Karamatsu inquire.

The woman shook her head, ringlets of curls bouncing from her eyes.

"No, they're two hundred yen a piece." She explained curtly.

Karamatsu sighed, entering numerous attempts to seduce the lady for a lower price, only to get rejected. You watched him walk away, stuffing his hands in his pockets. You wanted badly for him to notice you sitting there, but he walked right on by.

Despite your hoarse throat and aching feet, you weren't about to pass up the opportunity to speak with him.

'Get it together (Name)! Don't let him walk away.' You told yourself.

Standing up, you strutted confidently toward him. He noticed you from behind his shades, wondering how you found him.

"Hey Karamatー" You were cut off as you suddenly tripped, almost landing right on your face.

You gasped to see that Karamatsu helped you in time. You blushed, your thoughts screaming at you to stop being such a klutz.

"Woah there (Name). Don't fall so hard for me.~" He winked, lifting you to stand.

"I-I'm sorry, I was just happy to see you around." You shifted on one foot.

"Really, what could I do for you?" He adjusted his shades, trying not to look surprised.

"I was just . . .wondering if you could h-hang out with me?" You finally asked.

Karamatsu appeared momentarily stunned at this, but quickly gained his composure. He must have not had much experience with people being so upfront towards him.

"Sure, what would you like to do (Name)?" He asked, placing his hands back into his pockets.

"I-I would like to go back to the bridge where I met you!" You blurted, more courageous this time.

He simply nodded, swallowing nervously. Before you both left the flower shop, the lady came running up to you both.

"I'll give you the discount, okay? I couldn't help that you both looked so cute together." She gushed at Karamatsu.

You and Karamatsu exchanged glances and quickly looked away.

"I-It's not what it looks like . . .I'll accept the roses though." He muttered.

The lady wrapped the roses skillfully and handed them to him. Karamatsu definitely wasn't expecting it, so they laid at his side. You guessed that he wasn't really planning to buy them.

"(Name), if it's not any trouble, could I give these to you?" He handed them out to you.

The roses smelled amazing, you thought. There was no way you could reject them.

"That's so sweet of you, thanks Karamatsu." You beamed, accepting them from him.

As you held the roses, you could only think of the beautiful friendship you would have with Karamatsu.