Chapter 43 Confrontations

Start from the beginning

***

“It’s good that you came straight here,” Gaara said. He sighed and looked at the boy before him. He wasn’t much of a boy anymore. He knew Taryn had given him responsibilities in the squad. The boy could lead. He was a fine shinobi and had great respect for his sensei. Still… He didn’t want the boy involved in this. If this note meant what he though it did…

“Is Taryn-sensei in trouble? I know she shouldn’t have left the village without permission, but she would never…”

“I know full well what my sister is capable of,” Gaara interrupted, “She has chosen her own path.”

“But…”

“Daro.”

The boy’s breath stocked under Gaara’s stern look. “How much did she tell you about her relation with Uchiha Itachi?” Gaara asked.

Daro thought for a moment and lowered his gaze.

“She loved him very much,” Gaara continued, “I am well aware of that. If I understand Kakashi of Konoha, there is a longstanding promise between Itachi and my sister. A promise regarding Uchiha Sasuke.”

“Do you… do you think she went after him?” Daro dared to ask. “I do not know,” Gaara said, “but it might well be the case.”

“To… kill… him?”

“She will do what is needed,” Gaara said. He looked at Daro. “You will tell no one about this. If anyone asks, she is on a mission. Do you hear?”

Daro swallowed. “What about Hiro and Kuro?”

Gaara sighed. “They are smart enough to figure things out on their own. Until then, you will keep quiet.”

Daro nodded solemnly.

“And Daro… you are not going after her. You won’t leave the village without my permission, understand? That goes for your teammates too.”

Daro was about to protest, but Gaara cut him off. “Do I make myself clear?”

Daro clenched his fists. “Yes Gaara-sama.”

Gaara nodded. “Alright. You may go now.” He watched the boy leave and sighed. ‘Taryn, what are you up to? I can’t protect you forever.’ He unfolded the note and read it again in the hope of finding a clue, but he knew already he wasn’t going to. Whatever it was she was doing, she wanted to do it alone. She had always been like that.

Gaara frowned. After everything that had happened, did she still feel guilty about something that wasn’t her fault? Their father was the one that had given the command. She had  protected him, giving up everything to make sure he would be safe. ‘I wish you’d keep yourself safe too.’

***

Taryn took a deep breath before entering the cave. This was the location where she knew Madara to be. She didn’t try to hide her presence. A good chance that they already knew she was here. And if not, they’d find her out. Besides, she would need all her chakra she had if it came to a fight. She wasn’t sure what she was trying to accomplish here. She knew she could never sway Sasuke to go home. Perhaps she just needed to see that he was still alive.

It didn’t take long before she saw a figure approaching her. “You took your time,” Madara’s voice said, “I expected you a lot sooner.”

“I didn’t come here to chat,” Taryn told him.

Madara chuckled softly. “Don’t tell me you came to join us?”

“Don’t mock me Madara.”