13

( THE GETAWAY )

      A late-middle aged man, Dr. Jennings, walking down the sidewalk. His cell phone rings; he picks it up. "Hello. Yeah. All right." Dr. Jennings' face; he lowers the phone slowly.

      A city bus with a triangular Blue Ridge logo on the front passes. He smiles, turns, and continues walking.

      Across the street he enters a sports equipment shop and approaches a man leaning against a counter reading 'Guns' magazine. "Afternoon, Dennis." He says.

      "Hey, Doc." Dennis says.

      "I'd like to look at a gun." Jennings says.

      Dennis is laughing. "Yeah, right, doc." Dr. Jennings just looks at him. "Seriously?" He crosses behind the counter in front of a display of guns.

      Dr. Jennings looks around, then points. "That one." He says. Dennis unlocks the display and pulls out the indicated gun.

      "Okay. That's a turkey hunter, twelve gauge, pump action. Doesn't leave enough turkey behind, if you ask me." Dennis says.

      "What sort of shells does it use?" Jennings asks.

      Dennis pulls a box from under the counter. "Right here. I'm taking the boys up to the cabin this weekend if you're uh...I mean if you think you might like to take up the sport." He says.

      Dr. Jennings takes a shell and starts to fit it into the gun. "Thanks, but no. You know guns make me nervous, always have. This one goes in here, right?" He asks.

      "Whoa, Doc! No, you can't load a weapon on the premises, it's illegal!" Dennis yells.

      "It's okay, Dennis."

      "No, no."

      "It's okay, Dennis. It's all gonna be okay." Jennings turns the gun on Dennis and fires.

      "Doc!" Dennis is hurled against the wall as the blast hits him. The other customers start to panic.

      "No, no, it's, it's okay. It's okay. It's all gonna be okay." Jennings then presses the shotgun against his chin. The shotgun goes off again and the sink is splattered with blood.

MOTEL BATHROOM
[ ☾]

      Sam gasps. He is leaning over the sink in a dingy bathroom, the water running. White flashes from the previous scene cut across his vision. "No..."

      He runs a hand under the water and washes his face, scrubbing the hand through his hair. As he shuts the water off and looks up into the mirror, the door bursts open to reveal Dean. "Sam, come on, zip it up. Let's hit the...road. What?"

 What?"