Chapter 14 (New)

Steve's POV:
My eyes slowly blinked as I rolled on to my back. I barely slept last night. Hell, how could I? The way we danced, talked, and laughed. I've never opened up and put myself out there like that to someone like that in a long time. I kicked my legs around the blankets and ran my hands over my face. She kissed me. Well on the cheek, but still.
I replayed it over and over in my head,it was slow. The way she ran her hand from my head down to my hand, it just gave me a satisfying chill. And the way her soft lips touched my cheek, it made my heart pound. God damn I must be going mad. I rolled over onto my side facing the window which showed the dark early morning. I love her so much as a friend, but I wonder if I might feel the same romantically. I don't know if I love her but I do like her and I just want to tell her what I'm feeling , but how can I? I know she's a strong independent woman, did she feel anything about last night, at all? I should tell her, but I feel like I should just forget it and move on its not like she would feel the same way about me anyways.

I slipped out out of bed changed my boxers then threw on jeans, a white t-shirt, and a brown leather jacket. I guess I was so distracted getting ready felt like it only took one minute. I took a sip of my coffee. I have a new partner today and not just any partner. Sharon Carter the relative of Peggy Carter, my first love from during the war. Sharon Carter the woman who made, my previous long term partner/ best friend / maybe more, Natasha, feel like crap. Yes Sharon Carter the one I had gone on previous dates with before. Yes that is my new partner. Why does everything have to be so god damn complicated? Fury made it clear that she would be my partner for quite some time. How could I just let this go, she was terrible to Natasha, but some how Im going to have to let this slide?
What about Nat? How is she supposed to be partners with...that...that...Guy? He's arrogant, I can tell he is. It's really against myself to judge someone like that. The way he looks at and acts around women makes me cringe. He could be different though I mean I only met him once. He must of had a bad first impression.
As I left my room. I quickly closed the door and had a long look across the hall towards Natasha's room. I wanted to knock on her door. I wanted to talk to her, but at this point it might be best if I get this day over with. It's not like I won't see her ever again. I'll see her during breaks and after work. Besides, It was to late anyways I was already in the elevator, before I even knew it.

When I entered the avengers main office people where already hard at work in their desks. Fury had already texted me, that Sharon and I would be doing office work for today. Trying to find links to where Ivan and his men where hiding. As I was about to sit in one of the chairs next to my new desk a blond haired woman popped up right in front of me. I was so startled I almost spilled my coffee.
"Now, Sharon I'm sure we both know things have gotten a little messed up between me and a couple other people but...."
She waved her hands in my face cutting my sentence off.
"ok ok ok I know...Just here me out Steve."
I raised my eyebrows signaling her to continue.
"I feel bad about what I've done. I disrespected you......and Natasha. I crossed the line. the way I treated her....To be honest I wanted you all to my self."
I felt like rolling my eyes. She let out a short laugh
"calm down Steve not anymore. I mean we are partners now. We have to have our backs and trust me we can help each other out."
I moved around her and sunk into the swivel chair behind the desk .
"Help each other?"
She took the coffee out of my had and took a sip of it then set it down.
"Yeah you know at missions and you know if you have any love interests I would gladly become your wingwoman. And by love interest I mean you and Natasha."
I took the coffee back.
"What do you mean by that..."
"You would have to be blind not to notice how you two flirt. Unless you're  Matt Murdock. I still don't understand how he can sense stuff like that, But more importantly I heard you and Ray are pretty good friends now. You think you could hook me up?"
"Oh god Sharon...I barely know the guy and anyways you could do better. from first impression I could tell you he seems like a.... How do I say this? disrespectful guy."
She snickered.
"come on cap with looks like that maybe we could all give him a second chance."
Ray had just sat down in his desk across from ours, which was far enough to not hear anything but close enough to hear a conversation if you really focused. Sharon sat down next to me and put her elbows on the desk so she could rest her head.
"...styled back black hair, glowing green eyes, and perfect teeth. He's definitely in the top rankings of one of the hottest guys at work."
Maria briefly walked by, with a stack of papers in her hands, on her way to her desk, which was right of Ray's and Natasha's
"She's right you know."
I finished off my coffee And shook my head.
"Whatever."
Sharon took off her gray coat and flung it over the desk.
"Ooh and the lucky girl has arrived"
She looked so pretty. Her red hair was loosely curled as it cascaded over her black leather jacket. I cleared my throat and stared to work on our leads. But the entire time I couldn't help but glance over at her every few minutes as she talked to him.
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
NATASHA'S POV:
I'm a train wreck.
This entire morning I've been stuck on this high of happiness. I had the best day of my life yesterday. Steve made me smile and laugh. Even forget about Ivan. And let me tell you I haven't done ether one of those things in a long time. But now I have to leave this partnership for a new one? The only thing I can do now is act like everything is fine and hope that everyone thinks I'm ok with this.
In the mix of my many random thoughts a green eyed man appeared in front on me. He gave off a dangerous smile. It was one of those smiles that was simply intriguing.
"Hi I'm-"
I ended his sentence by grabbing the papers from his hand and sat down in the desk. I already started reading them.
"And I'm guessing your agent Ray Borra. I'm-"
Ray moved the papers away from my hand and moved my chin so I was looking right at him.
"And your Natasha. Oh and I know it's you because they told me that she was the pretty lips and by assumption it must be you."
He looked at my eyes and winked.
Ugh gross. I swatted his hand away.
"Great and they told me I was supposed to be working with a "hero" agent that survived the big shield head quarters attack in India, but it seems like I got a sleaze instead."
Ugh this is what I get. Fuck boys I swear.
Ray slowly backed away and looked disappointed.
"I'm sorry I tend to come on a little strong. Let me make it up for you how about I go get some coffee from the break room or maybe later tonight we could go and get a drink. It might be good, since we are partners now maybe we should get to know each other."
I couldn't tell if he was flirting or if it was just his personality. Yes he was attractive but I had no interest in him. He was overly flirtatious and cocky. It wouldn't be professional anyways.
"I'm sorry Borra but I'm not sure that would be entirely appropriate"
He slowly walked backwards.
"That's totally ok. I understand completely I'll just go get the coffee"
Once he was gone Maria slid her chair next to my desk.
I slowly lifted my head from my work. She was raising her eyebrows as if She was waiting for me to say something.
I dropped my hands to the table I didn't know what she wanted me to say.
"What???"
She pursed her mouth into a devious smile.
"Are you not going to tell me anything?"
My eyebrows furrowed as I looked at her with confusion. She quickly  held up her phone which was a picture of me wearing Steve's shirt and Steve leaving my room shirtless, with a a headline saying 'Even Avengers Hook Up With their Co Workers' and 'Best Power Couple of the Century?' .
"You to finally did it and you didn't tell me!"
My eyes widened I completely forgotten about the whole mistaken scandal. The only thing I had on my mind was last night and how much fun I had with Steve. Maria quickly continued to talk.
"Tell. Me. Everything. I mean I didn't expect this. You where totally pushing the whole 'we are just friends' thing for so long. How was he though. I bet he treated you well. he's a very respectful person. now I can totally see that you love him."
I hid my facial expressions behind my work.
"I do not love him. That whole thing was a mistake Tony just took a picture and it just was totally misinterpreted."
"Oh yeah right. Natasha lately you've been acting so different when you talk about him. Even if that didn't happen you can't deny that you like him the slightest bit."
I held my hands together and laughed a little
"I don't. listen he's ...my best friend. And It didn't happen.
Maria spun around in her chair while I was talking and then stopped to stare at me.
"Fine...then prove it."
Maria slid back into her desk. I furrowed my eyebrows with anger but also astonishment. I nervously laughed.
"Fine!"
I looked around frantically on a way to deny her accusations. Then My face felt emotionless and drained when I glanced over to see Steve and Sharon sitting side by side. She was laughing probably at something he said. I was his partner. We where partners. I took a deep breath and looked away. Suddenly Ray was walking up with two coffees in his hand. I quickly replaced my face with a shinning smile.
"Ray! About tonight..." It was obvious that I hesitated. " I'm sorry, but if you're still up for drinks tonight I would love to go with you."
Ray raised his eyebrows and leaned forward on the desk facing me.
" ok that sounds great. I knew you you would give in at some point." He then walked away to get some cream.
I smiled then turned around to look at Maria. Her jaw was dropped.
" is that good enough?"
" hmm I guess I was wrong."
All I know is that I'm probably going to regret this decision later on.

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
5 min earlier
Steve POV:
I stared at the two of them talking.
"Can you hear them talking?"
"Barely. why are you nervous she might like him?"
"No...are you."
Sharon slowly turned her head and rolled her eyes.
"Can you be quite I'm trying to listen."
I sat there fiddling my thumbs. I don't want the mistake of waiting to long. I care about her very much. I really do. At this point I would never tell her the way I feel. Right now I just want her to be happy and safe from this Ray guy. I need to be her friend.
"Ok wait I can hear them. He said 'bla bla bla he basically called her a dime and now...he is asking her if she wants to get a sink'...hahaha wait no 'a drink tonight'."
I clenched my hands into fists. So what if I was jealous. If she's happy getting drinks with him I'll be happy for her as well. But I can't help but keep a close watch on her.
Ray walked away to to the break room. Sharon quickly tapped on me so I would look at her. She tapped on my shoulder and started to laugh hysterically.
"Oh-Steve! Your hilarious!"
I loudly whispered.
"What are you doing!?"
She stopped laughing and whispered under her breath." I'm trying to make them jealous."
I was whispered back in an angry tone "Why?thats just going to mess things up."
"Ugh no it won't Steve when people are jealous they can't get their mind off of the person they want. For example I mean your jealous Natasha is getting drinks with Ray so I'm betting you can't get your mind off of her and what they are going to do on that date."
"God Don't analyze me"
" I'm just saying"
"Leave"
"Fine I'm going to go talk to Ray"
She walked away to the break room and I continued to work on my location leads.

//////////////////////////////////////

After hours of pushing papers and waiting to speak to Natasha I was finally done with work. I stood in front of the elevator waiting for the doors to open until the woman I was waiting for finally appeared.
"Natasha!"
She smirked "aw did someone miss me"
"Oh please like you didn't miss me too"
We both lightly laughed.
"So how's your new partner Ray?"
The elevator opened and we walked in.
"He's good. I can't tell much about him because I just met him but we're getting drinks tonight"
"That's...good." I scratch the back of my head."I've been meaning to talk to you today. It's about last night." Natasha's face lit up. I could she her eyes widen."where do I begin-"
"Hold the door!" Ray came bursting in. "Oh hey Natasha. What time where you thinking tonight? Maybe we could leave around 7 ? I know a hole in the wall place that's pretty good."
She turned away from me and smiled.
"Yeah Ray that sounds great."
"My man Steve. I saw that you and Sharon are partners. That must be good right?"
"Uh yeah everything is fine."
The door opened.
"Well this is my floor I'll pick you up from your room" he winked agin at Natasha and left.
We quietly road up the elevator onto our floor .
"Wait Steve where you about to say something?"
I looked down. "Uh never mind it doesn't matter."
She poked my arm "No what was it?"
I lied "to be honest I can't remember." I knew exactly what I wanted to say. I wanted to tell her that I think I might feel something for her. I wanted to know hid she felt a little something like I did.
She looked slightly disappointed. " oh ok...well goodnight I'll see you tomorrow."
"Goodnight Natasha. Good luck with the date. Be careful."
She turned away from her door and faced me again. "It's not really a date it's just getting to know each other. you knows that right? You know I can take care of my self."
" I know you can. Goodnight nat."
///////////////////////////////////
When I got to my room I sunk into my chair. I probably won't sleep tonight.  Well not until she gets home . It's killing me. I'm a little jealous. I just want to know what's going to happen on that date. I care about Natasha and if she's happy with this guy I will be happy for her, but all I can think of is what if he kisses her what if they....nope not gunna go there.
I don't feel like sleeping I just want to know if she will get home safe.
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Authors note: hey guys comment what you think I hope you like it

Next chapter: basically how Natasha's "date" really ended and how Steve reacts.