Chapter Forty-One - A King Among Wolves

Start from the beginning

Sebastian looked as if he would argue further, before sighing loudly. "Very well. I agree to a truce. But, that doesn't mean all is forgiven. Not yet." The demon gave Vincent a stern look. "I may still kill you."

"So sure that you can?" Vincent drawled.

"So sure that I can't, wolf?" Sebastian rebuked. "I appreciate what was done for Victoria, but when I look at you my claws itch to rip your damn eyes out of their sockets."

Vincent snorted. "Not to worry, demon. The feelings mutual."

"Well, I suppose that's the best we can hope for right now," Victoria mused.

Levina grinned, the mystic having remained unusually quiet. Her dress was still bloody and torn, but her wounds were healed. "Isn't this lovely. Does this mean you will join the Ascended, Vincent?"

"Aye," Vincent relented. It would be foolish not to form allies against the Legion. Not after tonight.

Mordecai entered then, his face hard. "Alpha, the other packs. They have gathered outside and are waiting for you."

Standing with a grunt Vincent rubbed a hand through his hair. He had been expecting this. He was still unclear as to why the other packs had come to their aid. It was unheard of for werewolves to collaborate in such a way. Never had so many gathered in one place before.

"Alright. Let's get this over with." Taking Evelyn's hand, he headed out into the courtyard.

Stephan waited for him on the steps, Grace by his side. "Alpha."

Giving Stephan a curt nod Vincent turned his attention to those gathered below. The sight before him had Vincent sucking in a breath. Hundreds of werewolves stood waiting, pack after pack. All eyes turned to him, many shifting uneasily on their feet. Stopping at the top of the courtyard steps Vincent waited cautiously, uneasy at having so many alphas on his territory.

Easy.

One of the alphas stepped forward, thick brown hair hanging loose down his back. Vincent recognized his scent as the shaggy brown wolf from earlier.

"Alpha Shaw," the other alpha spoke gruffly. "My name is Alpha Isaac Hart." He pointed to another alpha, this one with short blonde hair, nearly white. "This is Alpha Liam Gray. We speak on behalf of the packs."

Crossing his arms Vincent kept his voice steady and authoritative. "Why have you gathered here?"

Isaac glanced around before replying, "We've been watching you these past few weeks. I'm sure you've noticed."

Vincent raised a brow. "Aye."

The blonde alpha Liam stepped forward. "We apologize for encroaching on your territory, but we had to know if the rumors were true."

"And what rumors might those be?" Vincent asked.

Liam responded swiftly, "That the hunter Vincent Shaw, a Legion rogue, had formed his own pack. That he wished to be king." The alpha's light blue eyes landed on Evelyn. "That he had a mystic queen by his side."

Vincent couldn't blame them. He had known from the start when he accepted the others into his pack that it would cause a stir. "Why did you come to our aide in the battle?"

Isaac responded, "We saw how valiantly your fought against your enemy. You were vastly outnumbered, and yet you did not falter. It is because of this that we came to your aid."

Liam asked suddenly, "Is it true, that you wish to unite the packs?"

Vincent's eyed narrowed cautiously. "Aye."

"And your mate is truly a mystic?" Liam inquired curiously.

Vincent stiffened, instinctively protective of Evelyn. "She is."

Liam glanced towards Isaac, giving the other alpha a quick nod.

Crossing his arms Isaac stated, "It has long been believed that the wolf packs are in need of leadership. We fight among ourselves while a greater enemy threatens. We can no longer stand idly by, fighting among ourselves with such a threat. Michael's reach had grown deep. He could have very well succeeded in conquering the packs. His corruption would have been a devastation. But you already knew this, didn't you?"

Vincent exhaled slowly at the mention of his brother. "Aye. Since a boy I knew. He placed his desire for power over the pack and many lost their lives."

"You went against Michael, before you had fully accepted your wolf into your soul, did you not?" Isaac asked.

"I did."

Isaac raised a brow. "Knowing that you could not win?"

"He was unfit to lead," Vincent responded swiftly. "The pack always comes first, always."

Isaac smirked. "The answer of a true alpha. Despite his corruption Michael was strong, more so then any of us. Only you could defeat him. You align yourself with the Ascended and Levina the Ever Watchful, powerful allies indeed. As if this wasn't enough, your mate is a mystic. None can deny your queen is the most powerful of all. Your leadership would give us strength and end these senseless feuds among ourselves. If anyone is meant to lead it is you. It is because of this that we have decided to vow our loyalty."

Evelyn sucked in a breath, her hand clasping Vincent tightly. "What does that mean?"

Kneeling, Isaac's voice carried over the packs, "Vincent Shaw, you are the true alpha, king of us all."

Vincent's heart slammed in his chest. He watched in shock as one by one each wolf kneeled before him.

We are King of the Alphas.

He stood stiffly, his mind fighting to process. For so long Vincent had fought and struggled to make this a reality. It seemed unreal. All these centuries he had been convinced he would have to conquer the packs, force their submission. Now they bowed to him freely. 

King Sebastian stated quietly from behind them, "It seems you've gained your army, wolf."

Vincent's hand tightened over Evelyn's, his eyes turning towards his mate. She gazed up at him, soft tears rolling down her cheeks. Finding Evelyn had been his gift. He would have been content with her alone. Gaining a pack had been a dream. Now he was king?

After all he'd done, Vincent knew he didn't deserve any of this. If not for Evelyn, he would have none of it. She brought him back from the edge, chased away the darkness and gave his world light.

If not for us do this for her.

Turning back towards the pack Vincent announced loudly, his alpha voice reverberating through the night, "I accept."

AN: One more chapter left to go!