Chapter Seven - The Wolf Feels Regret

The Wolf Feels Regret

When he struggled awake the next morning Vincent was both pissed and immediately wanted to punch himself.

Firstly, Evelyn was not in the bed with him, nor in the cottage.

Secondly, what the fuck did he do last night?

He turned onto his back and stared up at the ceiling, rubbing a hand over his face in agitation. He had to be losing his goddamn mind. Dry humping Evelyn in the middle of the fucking night! What the hell had he been thinking?

He hadn't been. He'd let his dick and his wolf do the thinking for him. And he'd loved every damn minute.

His wolf let out a growl. It wanted to find Evelyn. He wanted to find Evelyn.

Where the fuck was Evelyn?

Sitting up he let out a snarl at the empty cottage. That girl was a walking accident waiting to happen. He did not like having her out of sight.

His chest constricted. What if she left? She was so innocent and soft. What if he'd frightened her off?

Fuck, fuck, fuck!

An uncomfortable feeling settled in his gut. He felt like he might be sick.

What the hell?

His wolf howled softly. It was still too weak to speak, but it was definitely on the rebound. And it was extremely anxious. No wonder his gut was twisting into knots.

Wincing as his muscles protested he got out of bed, wrapping a blanket around his waist. Evelyn's scent was still heavy in the air, she wasn't far.

Heading for the door he was just about to open it and check if Eve was outside when it flew open. Cold air and snow hit his face as Eve tumbled through the doorway, falling against his chest and dropping cords of wood onto the floor. He grunted as one landed on his bare foot, wrapping his arms around her waist to keep her from falling.

She tensed against him, peeking up at him from under her hair. Her glasses were perched low on her nose, dangerously close to falling off. He sighed and pushed the thick spectacles back up her nose with his forefinger. She blushed but didn't say anything.

For a moment Vincent was awe struck by how adorable she was. Then he remembered he was pissed.

"Where the fuck have you been?" he barked.

She blinked, her face turning beat red. "It was cold. I was getting firewood."

Vincent knew that was a perfectly reasonable reply, but something more primal in him chose to ignore it. "Without telling me?"

She frowned. "I didn't realize I needed your permission."

"You don't," he snapped.

"Then why are you angry?"

Good question. "I don't like not knowing where you are." Which made no damn sense.

Eve blushed again, glancing away from him. "Okay, but you were sleeping pretty hard. You should be resting."

"I'm fine. Are you alright?" he asked tightly, looking her over as if to find some terrible wound. She nodded, staring up at him with those big grey eyes. He rubbed a hand over the back of his neck and avoided her gaze. "About last night-"

"Are you mad?" she interrupted him.

He raised his brows in surprise. "What? Why would you say that?"