Chapter 5

Dale felt as if his body was being ripped apart and put back together in random order. It wasn't painful, only disorientating. The only thing he could see was a flood of every single colour on the spectrum, making an almost painfully bright light. It seemed as if he was the only person in existence, for nothing else was visible, yet from the rough texture of a dragon's back underneath his fingers he knew that he was still flying.

As he felt like his head would explode from the visual pressure the colours suddenly faded back into a normal setting, if not in a different setting from where he was before. Stars swam before his eyes as his body caught up to him and his stomach heaved. A dry wrench escaping his throat.

"Not on the dragon!" yelled Barrack.

Dale unstrapped his legs as quickly as he could and slid down the dragon's back. He stumbled to a nearby rock and unleashed the contents of his stomach behind it. Coughing a little he whipped the spittle from his mouth, then his stomach heaved again.

A couple of minutes later the discombobulated boy staggered back over the waiting dragon and rider. Barrack had an amused look on his face while Garathon had his ever-intense stair, though the dragon seemed a little lighter hearted then normal.

"Feeling better?" asked Barrack.

Dale nodded his head, coughing a little.

"Good. You should be proud. I fainted on my first time through the portal," he said.

Pride was the last thing on Dale's mind however. His stomach still complained at the experience and threatened to send up even more of its contents. The only thing that stopped it was there was nothing left.

Dale pulled himself weakly onto Garathon's back again, using his good hand. His right shoulder didn't like the experience either and was throbbing like it had just been broken again. He shook his head, ridding himself of the dizziness that accompanied the teleportation, and took his time to study the surroundings.

They were in another cave. It was smaller then the last one, he could see from one side to the other. The portal was behind them, set on a very similar structure to the other one. It was still gold and the same strange noise radiated from it.

It also seemed a number of dragons crowded the cave, instead of the one wyvern and human on the other side. There were ten of them, as far as Dale could see. There were six dragons like Garathon, two wyverns and two other dragons that were different from both.

These new dragons had four legs, a long wirily tail and large wings that encompassed their whole body. A row of spikes ran down their back and two long horns sprouted from their heads. More like what Dale expected a dragon to look like.

One of these dragons opened its wings and flew down towards them, a rider on its back. Barrack greeted the rider politely. They spoke in their strange language for a short while, before Garathon opened his wings and hauled himself once again into the air.

They passed through an opening on the other side and into a clear blue sky above. Dale smiled and took a breath of fresh air. As much as the caves intrigued him he felt much better in the fresh air high above the earth. Wanting to ask a question he turned back to Barrack, who was seated behind him.

"How many different dragons are there?" he asked.

"Four, well four common ones," he replied, "Seven if you count the other three, though they are rarely seen."