Chapter 4

They flew for the rest of the day, over the vast land of Australia and across a small ocean into what seemed like one of the Asian countries that surrounded the north coast. They landed on a remote island and spent the night.

Dale was finding the whole experience a little boring. He had grown used to Garathon and his rider and they often talked. He still wanted to go home but with every passing day the hope seemed less and less likely. So he didn't dwell on it, trying to think positive instead.

They winged their way into India, keeping away from everyone and anything. Garathon was a surprisingly stealthy dragon for his size. When still he could pass as a rock or outcrop from a distance and when flying during the day he could hide amongst the clouds. When there weren't any they would walk through the forests until appropriate cover came their way.

On the fourth night they passed the coast of the red sea and into Africa. Garathon found a secluded cove and glided down towards it, landing with skid. Dale slid off his shoulder and landed, knees buckling slightly from the time spent in the saddle. He cradled his broken arm as a jolt of pain shot through it at the landing. Barrack slid of calmly after him.

"So Dale, how have you been enjoying you're trip around this world so far?" he asked, gathering some wood from one of Garathon's saddlebags.

Dale watched him set up the fire before answering. Once the wood had been set into a tepee shape Barrack stepped back and watched as Garathon set it alight. The dragon's large head moved down towards the pile. He opened his maw and a strange clacking sound came from his throat, followed by a bolt of fire. The wood was set alight instantly.

"It's been rather boring really. Sure flying's fun but there is nothing to do while you are sitting on a dragon's back," Dale said, "It would be better if I had my camera."

"Camera?" said Barrack with a little confusion.

He walked over to Garathon again and reached into the saddlebag, bringing out a small device. It took Dale a moment to realise what it was. He let out a gasp of surprise.

"You have it?" he said, reaching out and taking it from Barrack, expecting it for any damage that may have been caused. Besides a few scratches and a dirtied screen it was in good order.

"Yes, we took it off you while you were asleep. I though I would keep it as a prize, but if you want it you're welcome to it."

Dale nodded with a smile, flicking on the screen. He flicked over a few photos. He stopped as he looked at the picture he had taken of Garathon. It was a little blurry, not extremely high quality, but it was good enough. He continued to flick through his photos, deleting a few of the worse ones. He froze again as he came across another picture. His family. It was a few days before he had been captured. They had been gathering for a family party and Dale thought it appropriate to snap a photo of the moment. He sighed as a tear formed. He shook it away and forced down his emotions. No, not yet. Not now.

He turned the camera off and put it around his neck, careful to keep it away from the broken shoulder. Both Garathon and Barrack were watching him with interest. Dale moved uncomfortably, and decided to change the subject.

"What's that clacking sound that Garathon makes when he breathes fire?" he asked.

Barrack frowned a little, as if not understanding the sentence.

"I don't understand the english word 'clacking'."

"You know, the sound that he makes just before he breaths fire. It's like two rocks clashing together," Dale said.