Chapter Twenty-Four: Favor Owed

Start from the beginning

The fact that every word that left his mouth is true only makes me more uncomfortable with the situation, and perhaps a little defensive, too. However, there is no way I can think of that would counter his argument without it being a complete lie. "Just because we kissed, it doesn't mean I enjoyed it," I object, hoping that by focusing on one part of his argument, I can make him forget that I am not disagreeing with what he said.

"I will admit, my timing with the first kiss was terrible and I apologize for that. However, you did not seem all that unhappy the second time. At least, not right away," Ryland counters, before leaning in closer. I take a step back into the living room. "Let me prove it to you. Let me prove how good a kiss can feel."

I quickly take a much larger step back, "I don't think so."

"Cade," Ryland pleads, walking towards me in an attempt to close the distance. I pause only to drop my backpack in the entryway, wanting to have my hands free. I back away at the same speed he advances, but I am running out of room before I hit the-

The backs of my legs hit the couch and the momentum of my hasty retreat forces me to sit down on the white cushions. Ryland is immediately crouching in front of me, hands on my knees. "Give me one chance. If you don't enjoy it, I will sleep on the couch tonight," Ryland offers, smiling one of his I'm-sexy-and-I-know-it smiles. I literally just told myself not to make any more deals and another one is already being offered to me.

"What if I like it and lie?" I ask anyway, and the growth in his smile says it all.

"That just means I will have to try harder next time," he answers, and I freeze. The promise of a next time does not sit well with me. He is clearly giving me a choice this time, though.

"If I say 'no', will you respect it?"

Ryland sighs, "Yes, I would. Not happily, but I would."

Mentally, I groan before inclining my head in silent permission. Ryland eyes my face for a moment, the smile temporarily lost as he tries to decipher my meaning, before he closes the distance with lightning speed, putting his hands on either side of my legs for balance. His lips press lightly against my own, as if testing to make sure I will not change my mind. When I do not push him away, he leans in closer, the kiss becoming more demanding.

At first, I refuse to kiss back, my lips unmoving against his. But the silent plea in the way his kiss becomes more hesitant is enough to make me test it out. Later, I will blame it on the deal, but the real reason is that curiosity made me do it. The desire to feel what it is like to kiss Ryland and not hold back.

So, I let go. At the first sign of any engagement on my side of the kiss, Ryland's ferocity returns. My hands, which had been curled into fists on the couch cushion a mere second ago, slide up Ryland's shirt to grip his shoulders. Since I am not sure if I want to push him away or pull him closer, I just tighten my grip and hold on.

His tongue manages to slide into my mouth, awakening the urge to bite down on it. However, as quickly as the impulse appears, it vanishes. I am not sure how he is doing it, but the kiss feels too damn good. Soon, there is not a rational thought going through my head, leaving only the taste of his mouth.

I slowly become aware of the sensation of sliding sideways until my back hits the couch seat. Ryland's lips disappear for a few seconds as he moves between my legs while running one hand over my side and putting his other hand behind my head to prop up my head. When I growl at the loss of contact, he smiles down at me before resuming the kiss. After a moment, he pulls away to end the kiss. I try to pull him back down, but he resists.

"Sono assuefatto ai tuoi baci," Ryland murmurs in Italian, and I catch 'kisses', but the rest is lost in the haze of my mind. "If we continue much further, I regret to admit that I might not be able to stop."