Chapter 5: Moonlit Battle

As part of the deal, I helped to farm the many crops, I built more houses, a small farm, started building the wall and, whilst doing all this exhausting work, I thought of a name for this village.
Whenever I caught a break, I visited the village healers and showed them my back - they cleansed the cuts and tended to the bruises, and sure enough, the markings faded.

Standing on the top of the unfinished wall, I wiped the sweat from my drenched forehead and pulled off my leather tunic, revealing my usual shirt. I placed down a few more blocks, making a staircase so I could finally take my break for the day. The wall was just over half-way finished.
I collapsed onto the soft earth and cool blades of grass, passers-by giving me food, drink and a cloth to wipe my forehead with.

Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed a villager dressed in white stumble towards me. She sat at my side and handed me a slice of pumpkin pie, a leg of roast chicken and some water.

"Thanks-" I breathlessly whispered.
The villager nodded, and looked at the wall I was building.
"The wall is coming along nicely." She commented.
"Thanks - it's still not finished though..." I rested my head against the cold stone of the wall. The sun was setting in the far West.

"The monsters will be coming soon," said the librarian, patting my shoulder. "Time to go."
I agreed, thanked the villager, said goodbye and headed for my house. I collapsed on my bed and took a quick nap; not much later, I woke up to see redstone lampposts shining in the darkness through the windows, and I could almost feel that the moon was hovering above me. I slipped on my enchanted golden boots, iron leg pieces, chest plate and helmet.
I had traded the armour for 5 emeralds, which I 'borrowed' from a library.

I pushed a stone button, activating an iron door (so no pesky mobs or any other inhabitants could sneak into my house) and stepped into the chill night air.
Sword in hand, a bow and three stacks of arrows in my inventory, I walked over to the gaping hole in the wall, farmers, librarians, priests and other villagers rushing past me to hide in their safe, warm houses.
I stopped 10 blocks away from the gap, eyes narrowed, crouching. Waiting.

Suddenly, an arrow flew toward my face and pinged off the corner of my helmet. My sword ready and glinting in the moonlight, I steadied myself.
I ignored the quickening pace of my heart. I wasn't scared of the mobs any more. I was sick of them. Sick and tired of them, always getting in the way, always revealing the disadvantage of everything you plan to do. I was determined to hunt. To kill all of them if they dare to lay a hand or claw on any of these innocent people.

A skeleton peered from behind a birch tree, five zombies, a huge slime, an enderman, one cave spider, a regular spider and a creeper all following behind it. Villagers peered out of their windows to witness the battle for themselves.
11 against one; I was ready.

With a loud battle cry, I lunged towards the mobs and dodged an arrow. I kicked the skeleton in its ribs and punched the cave spider. The monsters made their way into the village, circling me and getting closer every time I turned my back to them.
Two zombies lunged forward from opposite sides, and everything slowed down for that split second. I jumped and kicked both of them in the head knocking one to the gravel path, the other hit the side of its head on the cobblestone edge of a house, killing it instantly.
I managed to jump off the rear of a spider and then bounce from the top of the slime monster, landing on Watch House #2. I had built these Watch Houses to see if any visitors, friend or foe, were coming towards the village.
I knelt down and shot an arrow at the cave spider. It jumped and ran away like a coward, crawling deep into a shaded mineshaft.
I shot three more arrows, two at the slime and one at a zombie. The arrow flew so fast that it shot straight through the zombie's rotting abdomen, splitting it in half. The upper body fell to the ground whereas the lower body flew into the slime's face, blinding it and sending it rolling back to the dark depths of a ditch, where it died and split into three smaller slimes.