Chapter 2: When The Moon Rises....

I looked left and right before stepping out of my house. There was some sort of light glaring down at me, so I decided to take a closer look.

After climbing up a large oak tree, breaking some leaves and hauling myself up the ridges in the trunk, I stood up and saw an endless dark blue blanket decorated with billions and billions of sparkling jewels; the evening sky. I noticed a huge, white square with grey craters hanging low in the bejewelled sky - the moon. Suddenly, a strange feeling rushed over me - I had never felt it before....I looked at the moon and it seemed that it was looking right back at me. I felt charged up, energetic, I felt.....awake.

The sound of a pig snorting snapped me out of this....feeling. I remembered the reason why I came up here in the first place, which was to get food. I pulled out my wooden sword and crouched, getting ready to pounce.

"Come on, get closer!" I mumbled. "Closer, closer...."

I dived from the tree, plummeting towards the unaware animal. I landed on my feet, slicing the creature. I felt guilty, knowing that I had just killed one of nature's animals - but at times like this, I guess it doesn't matter. Reaching for a couple pork chops, I ate one raw; I was saving the other to cook once I got back to my shelter.

It wasn't long before I came across my house. As I walked towards the door, I wondered why I didn't just camp out for the night, like in a tree or something - despite being cold, the night didn't seem so bad. The only things I came across were pigs, cows, deer, rabbits, chickens, sheep and wolves; and they didn't seem very harmful. I tried to figure out the reason of building the shelter when I saw something slip through the trees.

My eyes immediately darted to where I saw the thing move; from what I saw, it looked very human-like, and seemed about the same height as I was, but I wasn't completely sure.
I didn't want to take any risks, so I just continued the path to my house. But when I turned around, a dark figure stood about seven blocks away from my shelter.
Without thinking, I said:

"Uh, hello? C-can I help you?"

The figure stepped forth and my heart froze as the light of the moon shone onto its hideous face:
Ripped, torn rags hung from its rotten, bleeding limbs - it didn't look like it had much stability from its legs at all, making it stagger eerily. The face - the stuff of nightmares! Its skin was sickly-green, its mouth hung open to show a few worn, yellow teeth to munch on flesh with. This thing didn't have a nose, but instead an empty hole.
'It looks human, but it's...decaying? A zombie?!' I thought.

The carnivorous corpse stumbled towards me. I was at one side of my house, just six blocks away from the door. I ran to it, but some other species of monster had beat me there; there were three of them, all carrying bows, one riding a large spider.
They were nothing but bones, clicking and creaking whenever they moved.

The spider was ready to attack whenever the rider told it to, its spindly, hairy legs sticking out of its round and fuzzy behind. Eight red eyes pierced you like knives, its fangs dripping with neon green venom. One skeleton fired an arrow - I dodged it with one swift move.
The monsters were moving closer, steering me away from the door. I swapped the pork chop in my hand with my wooden sword, though I didn't think it would defend me so well in this situation.

"Alright Sky," I muttered to myself. "One zombie, three skeletons and....a spider." I gulped. The sudden gurgle of a zombie sounded from behind me.
"Okay, two zombies!"