When in Rome, Do What the Romans Do

Start from the beginning

       “Hey, you were the one who woke me up in the middle of the night just to spontaneously take a trip to some random place.”

       “Some insanely cool random place.”

       “It is pretty cool.”

       After we checked into a hotel, Daisy and I walked around.  It was really fun to go into random shops and try on the most ridiculous things.

       “What do you think about my hat?” Daisy asked as she appeared in this huge feathery ornament.

       “It’s interesting…” I laughed.

       She put it on me and announced, “Mr. Liam Payne, people.”

       I took it off and shoved it back at her.  “Be quiet,” I hissed.

       “It’s Liam Payne!” She shrieked.  I put my hand over her mouth, and looked apologetically at the store clerk.

         “Shut up,” I told her.

         She grinned innocently.

         “Let’s go get something to eat,” I suggested.

         We went to an outdoor restaurant and ordered margarita pizza.

         “Do you want to see the Colloseum?” I asked Daisy through a mouthful of food.

          “Yes! That would be so cool.”

           We finished up our meal, and then took a taxi to the famous arena.

           “Did you know that it was originally called the Flavian Amphitheater?”

           Daisy just mumbled, “Was it really?”

           “Yes, and it could hold up to about 55,000 people.”

           “Cool,” she said not really paying attention.

           “Daisy!  We’re in Rome and you don’t even care,” I said exasperated.

           “I care, Liam, but to get the true experience, you can’t live out of a guidebook.  ‘When in Rome do what the Romans do.’  And they certainly aren’t reading travel guides.  Get your nose out of the book and experience it.”  She spun around in a circle. “We’re in Rome!

           “Fine,” I said as I gave up.  “Let’s just get lost.”

           “Let’s.  Or better yet, get lost and then ask for help without a map.  Have fun, Liam.”

           “All right.  Let’s have fun.”

           She grabbed my hand and ran out of the arena.  We went to the center of a plaza and started dancing randomly.

            “Oh I know what we can do!” She said.

            “What?”

            “We can go to the Trevi Fountain.”

            “Good idea,” I said.

            Running through the streets, I followed the red-brown haired girl.  She was one of best friends.  And she was crazy, but that just made her special.

             I stared at the white fountain in front of me.  It was beautiful with sculpted figures and clear blue water shooting out.

            “Let’s make a wish,” Daisy said.

            “Here,” I said as I handed her a coin.  Taking one for myself, we turned around and counted to three.

            “One, two… three!” Daisy giggled.  We tossed the coins over our heads and made a wish.

            Daisy turned toward me and asked childishly, “What’d you wish for?”

            “I can’t tell you, because then it won’t come true.”

            “Good point.”

            After a little more walking around, we went to the hotel.  In the elevator, Daisy and I discussed our day tomorrow.

            “The only thing I really want is good food,” she said.

            “I think we can add good food to our day,” I said.  “What time do you want to leave?”

            “I don’t want to leave,” she said.  “It’s so magical here.  Everyone hears how amazing Italy is, but then you get here and it’s even better than you could ever imagine.”

             “It really is.”

              “But I suppose reality has to come some time, right?”

             I just nodded mutely.

             She sighed.  “Sometimes I wish things could just slow down.  Life moves so fast.  I keep forgetting that it could change at any second.”

             I slid the key into the slot.  The door opened, and I looked at the room.

              “They said it would be charming,” I muttered glancing at the one bed, cramped room.  “Not exactly the word I’d use.”

              “Part of the experience,” Daisy said flopping down on the bed.

              “Who said you’d get to sleep in the bed?”

              “It’s chivalrous.”

              “Forget chivalry.  I want to sleep in the bed too.”

              “Rock paper scissors shoot,” she said to solve the issue.

             Daisy lost the game, and took some bedding into the shower to rest.  As I tried to settle down, I heard her trying to get comfortable.  Pretty soon, she was standing in front of me.

              “It’s uncomfortable,” she pouted.

              “Fine you can sleep here. But don’t even think about hogging the covers.”

               She jumped in and under the sheets.  “Night.”

               “Night,” I mumbled.