I'm Always Here... So Let Me In

~Liam’s POV~

      That night, I lay on my bed with a computer in front of me.  I couldn’t stop myself from looking at my twitter page.  The things that people were saying about me… it was too horrible to even talk about.  Some said that I couldn’t sing, others that I shouldn’t be in the band because I ruined the image, and then there were the people that just said: “I hate you.”  I knew that I messed the solo up.  I knew that I forgot the words, but what gave people the right to hurt others like that?  Did they know how they made me feel?  A tear slipped, unnoticed, down my face.  Why couldn’t they see that I was human, and I could make a mistake too?

     “Liam?” Daisy asked, coming into my room.

     I wiped the tears off my cheeks.  “Yes?”

     “What’s wrong?”

    I pointed mutely at the computer screen.  Daisy sat down next to me and turned it to face her.

    She started to read the comments, her face growing more and more horrified each one.

     “You don’t believe them, do you?” She asked.

     I refused to meet her eye.

     “Liam, look at me.”

     I brought my gaze up.

     “None of this is true, okay?  You are the opposite of what everyone says.  One Direction couldn’t be a band without you…  You are irreplaceable.  Do you want me to tell you what I think?”

      “Okay,” I whispered.

      “I think that you’re an amazing person.  I think that your personality makes it impossible not to like you.  I think that everyone in your band depends on you for things to go right and you’re the one they come to for help.  I think your voice is beautiful, and I think that Kelly is the stupidest person for letting you go. If I ever had a guy love me half as much as you love Kelly, I’d consider myself the luckiest girl. 

       “People hate that which shines the brightest. When you’re on stage, you shine brighter than anyone.  You’re one of the most caring people that I know, and you’ve made me into a better person.   These people who say you can’t sing are just jealous of you.  Your true fans love you for you.  And I think that’s a pretty good guy to love.”

      I just looked at her.  I couldn’t even ask the question I’d wanted to ask.  Did she actually mean it?

      “And before you ask if I mean it,” she said, practically reading my mind, “I do. I mean every word.”

     “Thank you,” I said quietly.

     “I think you should go to bed.  You’ll feel better after a good night’s sleep.”

     Agreeing with her, I turned over, and fell into a deep sleep.

     The next morning, I woke up to coughing.

     “Daisy?” I called.  “Are you okay?”

     “I’m not,” here she paused for a fit of coughs, “feeling so well.”

     Making my way to her room, I got her some Ginger Ale and some crackers.  I came in to find her lying on her bed, tossing and turning in an attempt to sleep.

     “Dais,” I said as I woke her up.  “Let me feel your forehead.”

     “I don’t have a fever, Liam.”

     “Stop fighting me and just lay still.”

     I set the back of my hand against her forehead.  She was burning up.  “Here.  Drink some of this.”

      She sat up and took a sip.  Her head turned away as she tried to stomach it.  “What is that?” She asked.

      “It’s Ginger Ale.  You’ve never had it before?”

      “No.  It’s vile.”

      I laughed.  “It’s good when you’re sick.”

      “I think it’s making me more sick.”

      “Why don’t you try to sleep some more?”

      “Will you sing?” Then she explained herself.  “It’s relaxing.”

      “Do you want to pick a song?”

      “Not really.  Just sing a good one.”

      “Yes ma’am!”  I saluted.  After thinking for a minute, I began to sing.  “I thought I saw a girl brought to life.  She was warm, she came around, she was dignified…  She showed me what it was to cry.  You couldn’t be that girl I adore. You don’t seem to know or seem to care, what your heart is for…  Well I don’t know her anymore. There’s nothing where she used to lie… conversation has run dry.  And that’s what going on, nothing’s fine I’m torn.  I’m all out of faith, this is how I feel… I’m cold and I am shamed lying naked on the floor.  Illusion never changed, into something real, I’m wide-awake and I can see the perfect sky is torn.  You’re a little late, I’m already torn.

       So I guess the fortuneteller’s right… should have seen what was there, and not some holy light.  It crawled beneath my veins and now I don’t care, I had no luck; I don’t miss it all that much.  There’s just so many things that I can touch… I’m torn.  I’m all out of faith… this is how I feel.  I’m cold and I am shamed, lying naked on the floor.  Illusion never changed, into something real, I’m wide-awake and I can see a perfect sky is torn.  You’re a little late, I’m already torn… torn.”  I stopped singing, as Daisy was drifting off into sleep.  She whispered something before closing her eyes.

       “That used to be my favorite song.”

       Used to be.  It was something from her past.  I could have jumped out of pure joy…  She was opening up.  Little by little she’d tell me.  I would just have to be patient.