Chapter Five

Months passed since then. Since the day I blurted out the horrible truths of my past. And in those months, I had started to slowly begin having a crush on Xavier. Every morning, he would be standing at my locker waiting for me so he could ask me how I was. Every recess and lunchtime, he would take me to a seat somewhere and would eat together. Even after school he would walk me to the minivan. In our class together, he would sit by my side. I wasn't sure why he would want to ditch his friends and his sports for me, but a small part of me loved the attention. A few times he had even convinced me to not wear my hoodie to school. It was difficult on those days. I could feel everyone's stares as they thought about why the loner would hang out with the most popular guy in school. I sometimes asked myself that as well.

It was a Monday today. I dreaded today almost as much as tomorrow because tomorrow I had a counselling session. And it was made worse when the counsellor said for me to bring Xavier along with me. I don't know why she would ask that. I always thought there was a confidentiality between the doctor and patient and that no one else was to come to them. Guess I was wrong.

As soon as I got out of the minivan, Xavier walked up alongside me.

"How was your weekend?" He asked.

"It was fine. I had a ton of jobs and some meetings that went for longer than I planned. How was yours?"

"Mine was great. I spent the Saturday with my parents, to their surprise again, and the Sunday was some sports."

I unlocked my locker when we got there and dumped my bag.

"Are you sure your counsellor wants me to come there tomorrow?" He asked in a whisper so that no one could hear.

I nodded. "She said she wanted you there."

"Do you want me there?"

"Honestly? No. I don't know why she asked you to come along but I don't want you there in case she embarrasses you," I replied in full honesty.

He scoffed. "Yeah, right. Like she could embarrass me. I'm immune to embarrassment."

"That sounds like a challenge," I said with a grin.

"It is now. You can have a couple of days to try to embarrass me but if you fail, I get to give you one order of my choosing."

"Agreed, but I'm not doing anything sexual."

"Why would you think I would corrupt your innocence by ordering that?" He asked, shocked. It took me a second to realise the shock was fake. I hoped that wasn't his order.

"Your the type of person who would ask that of someone," I countered.

"No. I don't sleep around or anything. I don't want one night stands or anything."

"I know. I'm teasing you. Smile," I grinned at him.

He made a face then turned to walk off. Two steps away from me, he turned back to face me, this time with a mysterious smile. "At lunch time, go to the main courtyard. I'll meet you there."

He then disappeared quickly without seeing my nod or confusion. I just grabbed my books and went to History class.

At recess, I met up with Xavier he looked a little bit nervous. His leg was bouncing up and down.

"Are you alright Xavier?" I asked curiously as I sat in front of him.

His eyes met mine and the dark green slowly turned lighter. "I'm fine. Just a bit worried about something," he said.

"About what?"

"Oh, my Science test results. They might not be too good."

That was a lie. I glared at him. He seemed to cringe back a little bit.