Chapter Two

English finished uneventfully and I was glad for that. As soon as the bell rang, I was out the door and ignored the teacher as she said to have a good day.  I got to my locker in minutes, packing all the books I needed for homework and rushed out to the front of the school. I was about to get on the bus but saw Karen standing by the entrance gate, her attire neat and casual, greying hair tied off her face and handbag hanging from her shoulder.

I walked up to her and gave her a smile.  "You came to pick me up today?" I asked. 

She nodded. "Yes. Those parents are about to get there in about ten minutes so I want you all ready to meet them."

I nodded and followed her to the old blue car then climbed in quickly.  We were driving along soon enough with the radio playing in the background. 

"Do the parents live in this town?" I asked Karen. 

"Yes, so you don't have to worry about switching schools or anything."

"That's good," I said, mostly to myself. 

We pulled up in the orphanage driveway and Karen rushed me up to my room to get changed.  I quickly changed into jeans and a long sleeve shirt then put on my runners then went downstairs to the meeting room. The meeting room was the room where adults could come and talk to the orphans and judge all the qualities they liked and disliked in the child. 

Walking in, Karen sat opposite to a woman with long blonde hair and a man with a mop of brown curls on his head. 

"Sorry if I'm late," I said to them and took my seat next to Karen. 

"Don't worry about it Anna. I was actually telling Lucy and Gregory about you," Karen said. 

"Nice to meet you Anna, I'm Lucy Williams and this is my husband Gregory Williams," Lucy said and held her hand out to me.

I shook their hands in turn and put on a shy smile. "Nice to meet you too. I'm Anna."

"How was your day at school today Anna?" Lucy asked. 

This was a typical question from all the adults who came.  My thoughts went to Xavier and I made sure the cruel thoughts didn't go onto my face.

"It was really good," I lied. "In English we are reading a novel and in art we had to draw some things we like."

They smiled at me and I already saw the wheels turning as they were about to ask their next question. It was either something about how good my grades are or if I played sports. That's the only thing they really cared about in the past interviews I've had. 

"You really like your classes then? You must be an A+ student then," Gregory said with a hopeful look in his eyes. 

"No, unfortunately not. I'm more of a C or D student but some classes I like."

"I see. And what about sports? Do you play any?" Lucy asked, her eyes glimmering like Gregory's did before. 

"No, sorry." Their eyes lost hope and were dull. Now that I destroyed their hopes in me, they were going to pretend to be interested in me or make an excuse to leave.  Turns out it was the first because they stayed for ten more minutes before saying they had to leave. 

"I hope to see you later Mr and Mrs Williams. And do please come again," Karen said as she walked them to the door. 

The door closed and I shook my head at Karen who looked hopeful like the Williams' did before.  "No. I didn't like them. They want a child with good grades or plays sport," I said with bitterness.  Karen sighed, walked over and gave me a hug.  "You'll find a family someday Anna. I know it. You just have to be strong and patient." She let go of me so I could go upstairs and do my homework. But I didn't do it. All I did was get out my diary and write.