Eighth Day of Christmas

On the seventh day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...

Today is the second day my father drove Marie and I somewhere, only to leave us for work emergency. One of Marie's friends was in a play, so dad drove us both there and dropped us off. It was a little ways from home, so I hoped that the monsters wouldn't follow me there.
We settled into our seats, Marie doing her best to pretend she didn't know me. At least I was able to get out of the house for a while, I felt like I was going crazy.
I didn't recognize anyone here, not that I would know anyone, even if we were in our own town. We didn't go out much. In fact, us going out two days in a row had to be a new record.
Still, I was restless. I shoved aside my fear, figuring it was nerves from being scared out of my own skin for the last week. I just wanted to get through one day without the monsters hunting me, that would be enough to get part of my sanity back.
The play began, the room darkening around us. I leaned back, trying not to look into the surrounding darkness, for every time I did, I could swear I could see the monsters staring back at me.
Soon though, the play began to distract me from my fears. It was an odd mashup of different Christmas songs and movies, all merged together into one. I'm sure it might have made sense to some, but what did frosty the snow man have to do with a nativity scene?
The play continued on, the actors and actresses dances around the stage, dramatic music emphasized their moves.
When 8 people in cow suits walked out onto the stage, the play started to make even less sense. 8 maids followed, singing and dancing in between milking the cows.
I didn't know the right words to describe it, but weird seemed to be a good start.
The hair on the back of my neck stood on end, and I stiffened. No, not now. Not when I was just started to become distracted from the tormenting monsters. I knew by the goosebumps on my arms that they were here somewhere. Glancing around, I could see nothing. They had to be watching me. Were they hiding in the sled on stage? Watching me through a peephole? Or stalking me in the darkness, where evil usually hung out?
I barely noticed the play had ended, some of the people on stage started removing the heads of their costumes. One by one, the men in the cow suits removed their heads, then bowed as one to the crowd, their eyes trained only on me. All this time, the evil elves had been in plain sight and I hadn't even noticed. I should have seen through their cow costumes. They had hid under them, like wolves in sheep's clothing, watching me enjoy the play. Now they had revealed themselves, showing how well they could hide, so I would let my guard down around them. I would feel safe again..
I left the play with Marie a short time later, after she finally caved in to my pleadings to leave. As we walked out of the door, I noticed an elf standing there, his eyes trained on me as he stared down at me from his towering height.
His smile was sinister as he turned towards me, acting like he was ready to come at me.
I squeaked, plastering myself against the door frame and cowering away from him. If it hadn't been for the impatient person behind me who bumped me out of the doorway, the evil elf could have ate me right then and there.