Chapter 16: Friend

I froze as I stepped out into cool air of the main room.

The click of the bathroom door behind me signalled my entry and both Shay and King Blakesley whipped around with wide eyes to look at me.

"El." King Blakesley said in a surprised voice as if he was shocked to see me in my own room.

I wasn't sure if I should walk closer or not but Shay beckoned me forward with a tilt back of his head.

My arms crossed instinctively in front of my chest out of protection.

"Your Highness." I greeted him cautiously when I finally stood before him.

"I'm sorry for the intrusion and I'm aware I must be one of the last people you want to see right now, but I want to extend my deepest apologies to you. I know your stay here has been less expected, but you are my personal servant and it's my job to make sure you are safe." He said with a look of pleading in his eyes and conviction in his voice.

"I assure you that we are doing everything in our power to find out who attacked you and make sure something like that never happens again." He continued and then his gaze dropped to my neck.

"Your neck." King Blakesley's eyes stared at the bruises that would around my throat. His hand reached out instinctively to touch them and I flinched away causing him to rip his hand back.

"My apologies, I didn't mean..." He stuttered with a bewildered look on his face.

"No I'm sorry, I'm just a bit jumpy, I didn't mean to offend." I bowed my head.

"Well, I will leave you to get your rest. Goodnight Shay, El. I hope to see you tomorrow." He nodded and walked away briskly, his hands clasped behind his back.

"See me tomorrow?" I asked Shay as soon as The King was out of the room.

"Yes." Shay nodded. "He came by to see if you were ready to work again."

"Oh." I said and then climbed up into my bed. Lux whisked out from the bathroom with a bag of my laundry and set it on her cart before Shay stepped out of the way to she could drape the covers over me.

"I'll be back in the morning Miss Belle. Goodnight. Goodnight to you as well Mr. Shay." Lux curtsied to both of us before sweeping out of the room. I internally snickered at her over the top formality.

Shay got settled into the chair while I smoothed out the blankets that covered my lap.

"So do you think you're ready to go back to work again?" Shay asked. "It won't be anything strenuous, just things like watering his flowers or bringing him his papers and stuff. But I think it would be nice for you to get back to doing something, also let Michael see that you're not so easy to get rid of."

I thought for a moment and suddenly an idea hit me.

"If I go back to work and am out and about, it makes Michael work harder to get rid of me and easier for us to find a way to trap him in his own game." My eyes lit up.

"That's true." Shay nodded with a slight smile. "But, this requires you to be around Michael at times. The King doesn't know so until we have enough to catch Michael, you have to act innocent."

"If it gets that disgusting excuse for a human being out of here then I'm all for it." I agreed and Shay let out a sharp laugh.

"Okay then." He shot me a smile and I reclined back into my pillows.

"Wait, Shay." I said suddenly, sitting back up. "About earlier..."

"Yes?" He quipped.

"Uh, I was going to say that I'm glad you're here with me. I don't think I would be able to do this without someone in my corner."