Prologue

Riley's Point Of View
--------------------------------

     I walked into my apartment from a Saturday night hanging with my friends, Ava, Chrisma, and Courtney. I took off my black vans, leaving them on the shoe mat by the door and I wiggled out of my favorite coat and hung it up on the coatrack.

    I walked into the living room, seeing that my best friend, Jullian, wasn't there. She is probably asleep in her bedroom. I mean it is twelve and she said she is going shopping with Anna, her sister and one of my other best friends. Walking into the dim kitchen, I see a bright yellow paper laying on the counter. I turned on the light before walking over to the note obviously written by Jullian.

       I don't know if you're home or coming home, which you obviously are because you are reading this. I went to bed around ten fifteen. I just wanted to say goodnight and didn't want to call you. Anna and I will be leaving around 9, but please be ready at twelve. We are taking you and Abby to lunch. I don't care if you have plans, I will hunt you down.

             Goodnight, x Julesie

    As I put the sheet down, I laugh at my given nickname to her from almost 7 years now. I grab a can of Dr. Pepper and three chocolate chip cookies before heading to my room to edit my YouTube video for tomorrow.

    After about two hours of editing, making the video close as perfect as could get, it was now two in the morning. Groaning, I sauntered over to my bed, laying down with my back flat on the sheet covered mattress. I was scrolling through my Twitter feed. That's when I received a text from a unknown number. I clicked on the notification bar, which brought me to my text messages.

     Unknown Number: Is it hey or hi! Hey Mikey. I'm just making sure I got the right number. Ashton called me and told me that your number got leaked. :-)

I laughed at the 5 Seconds of Summer reference. As I read over the text message, over and over again, I decided to text the person back.

Me: Who is this? The last time I checked, my name wasn't Mikey. My number didn't get leaked. Why are you texting me at two thirty in the morning?

A couple of seconds later, the unknown number texted back.

Unknown Number: It's Luke, remember your bandmate? Dude, it's four thirty in the AFTERNOON.

When was I notified about being in a band? The only person I know of the name Luke personally, is Lukas from school and I don't have his number. I checked the time again, making sure I was delusional about the time. Yep, about two thirty. I added the number in my contacts as Luke.

Me: I'm sorry but you have the wrong number. I'm Riley, and you must not be America.

Luke: Well, hi Riley. I'm in Australia at the moment, but I think we can be great friends.

I thought about it. I always wanted to go to Australia. If I become friends and trust him, I could easily have a wonderful reason of going there. Maybe this won't be a bad choice. So, I replied back.

Me: Ok Luke. I'm your new American friend.