Chapter 15

~Nico's PoV~

We walked along the edge of the park for a while before Will took a turn off the path. He lightly pulled me forward through the cluster of trees until we reached a clearing. A small pond rested to the left, a blanket along with a picnic basket to the right.

Will sat down first, motioning for me to follow suit. Once I sat down next to him, he began to talk about the different aspects of clearing.

"I found this place a few years ago. I find it comforting, a place where I can think and be free. I left the camp one day and began walking and this is where I ended up."

I looked around, continuing to admire the sites of the clearing. Colorful flowers dotted the scenery; the trees loomed over us, providing a perfect amount of shade; the water sparkled under the rays of the sun; only a few clouds found their way into the sky.

Will handed me a box of McDonald's fries. I raised a brow at him, but he just shrugged, taking a fry from my box. I pushed him away and nibbled at my food. He rolled his eyes and smiled. He placed the chicken nuggets between the two of us.

"Sometimes I feel like my dad guided me here, knowing the importance it would play in my life. I've never brought anyone here, until now. I wanted to share this place with you because it is special to me, just like you are."

I blushed,"It is a shame really..."

"What do you mean?" He looked at me.

"You are so amazing at poetry and everything. You always seem to know what to say, yet your dad's poetry, not so much."

Will laughs, revealing his elegant white smile. For a moment, I swear the temperature increased by at least twenty degrees. I mumbled a sorry, knowing that I probably angered Apollo.

"You know, Nico, you are a great person. I don't know why you would think otherwise."

I looked down,"So many people are afraid of me or they simply hate me. I figured I did something wrong if so many people dislike me."

"Nico, it is not so much the fact that people are scared or hate you. They just do not know how to read you. Some people want to be able to know you better, they just do not know the right route to approach you."

"So I am unapproachable?" I sigh.

"That is not what I meant. Come on, Neeks. A lot of people are afraid to open up to someone new, many just are not accepting enough. You know? I know there are people that go around just hating everyone-"

I crack a smile," you mean me?"

"Shut up, Nico, you know I did not mean you," he smiles,"Come with me."

He leads me to the pond, a small amount of sand surrounds the water. Will grabs a stick and sketches a circle and a smaller one.

"This right here,"he points to the larger circle,"This is the average person's circle. This other circle is yours. Name three things these two circles have in common and three ways they are divergent."

"Uh, okay. Well, 1.) they are both circles, 2.) they have the same equations to figure out things like their circumference and area, and 3.) Both are similar, shape wise."

"Right," he nods,"now differences."

"Obviously, 1.) The former is larger than the latter, which plays a role in my second point being that, 2.) The area, circumference, and diameter are different, and 3.) The first circle can fit more inside it's area then circle two.

"What's the point of this?"

He thinks for a second before finally speaking again.

"So, you've compared and contrasted the two, coming up with three conclusions for both. Now, it is evident that you can find similarities between you and other people. Obviously, there are differences, but there may be just as many things alike at times. The main difference, as you said, is the space that is accepting. You keep more to yourself more than a person with this circle may. Yet, if someone saw your circle without seeing the other, they would assume that it is just a circle. While the same vice versa."

"So what you are saying is that people see me as another person when I'm alone, but when I separate myself, it's evident who I am?"

"I suppose. My point is, you are just like the average person. Everyone sees you as a person no matter what you do. You're different, yes, but we all are. So, it's not so much that people hate you. They just find you interesting because of your differences."

"Thanks, Professor Solace. It isn't like you couldn't have just said that instead of confusing me."

Will shrugged," Made sense to me."

That analogy probably made no sense, but I updated and I'm proud of that.