Chapter 24 - Break

Start from the beginning

I rose up and sat beside her. "He had a girlfriend there, Elena," I spoke seriously, calmly.

She stared at me with big wide eyes. Then, she hugged me. "Oh, I'm sorry, Thea."

"Don't be sorry for me," I said trying to appear strong as I embraced her back.

"How are you coping up?" she whispered.

"I think I've got a strong and tough heart. I'm still okay."

Was I really okay?

Hugging Elena, I didn't know what came over me at this moment. It was just like I felt the world was on my shoulders. My heart beat painfully... and I cried... cried harder... like there was no tomorrow for crying.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The following day, the first place that I visited in The Fields was my lagoon. Nothing had actually changed there. I was happy about it. Once again, I saw the sparkling water in it, the beautiful flowers blooming as ever and, of course, the colorful butterflies just flying everywhere. It was a sight to behold.

"You are to attend a charity event tomorrow night at the governor's mansion, darling," mom told me when I arrived from the lagoon. She was in the library and she ordered Elena to tell me to go straight to her once I arrived.

Sitting on a couch in front of her, I was glad with what I had heard.

"Charity event?" The term kind of rang a bell in me since I actually intended to visit the children in the village on Saturday together with Elena and Diego. I missed them and I was planning to treat them for lunch.

"Well, it's actually a thanksgiving party and gala ball for all the major donors of the provincial social welfare department," she explained.

"A ball?"

She nodded. "Well, I told Nigel about your fond of helping people especially the children in La Carlota. The provincial social welfare department is accepting some help from private sectors on their literacy and health programs. I was thinking that these programs will include your subjects in La Carlota, so I asked Nigelito Juaquin to donate."

"Uh-huh?" I was speechless.

So did he donate?

"Nigelito donated a generous amount to the department."

What?

"Really, mommy?" I couldn't believe that the cold Nigelito Joaquin Sarmiento was donating for the welfare of the underprivileged children in our province! "Wow, that's really great!" I kind of heard the flapping of my heart. It made me admire him even more.

"So get ready for tomorrow. Nigel will be coming and the two of you will attend."

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

The travel to the governor's mansion would take about 30 minutes so I had to make myself ready by 5:30 in the afternoon. I was surprised when I saw what I was to wear to that ball. Mom brought it to my room.

"Do you know that I had to urge Stefano for this gown? I'm glad he met the deadline," she said excitedly. She was referring to a famous designer in the capital. It probably cost her a fortune plus the fact that she had it delivered straight to The Fields.

"Oh, my God! It's beautiful, mommy! Thank you so much," I said as I embraced her.

"You deserve the best, darling. Okay, make yourself ready 'cause Nigelito will arrive any minute from now."

It excited me to think that I was going to a ball with my Nigel. I couldn't wait for it!

Mom helped me get dressed, do my hair and make-up. Even if Kara taught me some basic lessons in applying cosmetics, I still wasn't very confident in doing it myself. I was just thankful that mom was there for me.