04 | paper under soft pencils (short)

Emma's POV

As rude, as impatient, as mean as he was today, I simply couldn't believe that Thaddeus was a bad person. I'd seen vulnerability under his cold exterior, and I believed that deep down there was something good and beautiful, something innocent, and maybe that innocence had been wrecked by demons of kinds. 

He was a mixture of good and bad, yin and yang, black and white, and he was in between the unidentifiable ranges of shades of grey. 

Amidst all my thoughts I had walked unconsciously into my bedroom, and sat before my study table. It seemed easy, what to do next, as I grabbed my pencils and started to draw on an empty sheet of paper.

Thaddeus. I thought. Thaddeus. Thad...dy. Teddy bears. 

I drew a shape of a fluffy teddy bear, for his innocence.
His ears-imperfections lay there, he no longer listened to any advice other than his own thoughts. I drew them with nibbled edges, like a child's first chew toy.
His eyes-chocolate brown, I coloured them in. They were the windows to his soul, raw and vulnerable, yet guarded and protected as well. They'd seen dark times and not as many moments in the light, but they still had the flicker of hope glowing in them. I drew them reflecting the warmth of the sun, something I knew lay deep down in those spiteful pools of chocolate.

His mouth was probably the hardest to draw. I debated inwardly between a smile and a frown, and I settled on something half-half, like those masks in the theater reflecting happiness and sadness, a half frown and a half of a smile. 

And then with my softest pencil, I gently shaded the rest of his skin grey.
Thaddeus, I thought. There you are.