Laura sat down and ate her lunch alone. She didn't register the slight jolt at first when someone sat down beside her, just one seat away. Half-expecting to see Chris or Janine there to offer an apology, she gasped when she looked up and saw the dark-haired woman from booth sixteen.

Sixteen scooped food onto her fork and shoved it into her mouth. Laura continued to stare at the woman in her mid sixties. She had rounded shoulders that made it look like she carried a heavy burden.

'Eyes down,' said Sixteen as she looked ahead.

Laura did as she was told. A burst of adrenaline killed off her remaining appetite. She picked up her coffee mug and took slow, measured sips.

In a hushed whisper the woman said, 'This place is not what it seems. On the outside, the ESC appears to work for the good of the people. You don't know what's really going on here.' Laura searched for the roving camera. 'They are using you. So far, they've only shown you things they want you to see.'

What things? What was she talking about?

'You think you know why you're here. But I bet you've questioned your presence on Level Five, on more than one occasion. Why do they need me? What makes me so special? Why did they give me the files? It's because you're new. You're less likely to question their motives.'

Laura coughed into her fist. The Taggart files. It had to be what she meant. She found the camera's current location. To her relief, it was busy interrogating someone else.

'This place is a front for some bad stuff and you and I are pawns in their game. Think about it. The work we do can easily be handled by a computer. They don't need us for most of the work done here.'

That's what Laura had thought.

Sixteen forced more food into her mouth. She chewed and spoke again. 'They think you're special, and you may well be. That's why I'm giving you these.'

She pulled out three folded envelopes; one had a tiny micro file taped to the front. 'You've seen some files already, but they're nothing compared to these. They'll keep manipulating you until you become nothing more than their puppet.' Her words were barely audible now. She passed the envelopes under the table. 'These will give you an advantage. If you want to help, you need to know what this place has become involved in. It's not what you think.'

Laura wanted so badly to look at Sixteen, to see the truth—or the lies—in her eyes. But she kept her gaze on her food. She felt around under the table for the letters and slipped them into the waistband of her trousers. The adrenaline had her feeling agitated, but her head told her to calm down.

Her trembling hand brought her mug up to her lips. 'What are they?' She took a sip and put the mug down, feeling more alert than she'd done all week.

Sixteen finished her meal. 'Try not to get caught with them.'

'But I still don't understand. Why me?'

Sixteen picked up her tray. 'Because you're the last person they'll suspect to have these.' She stood up and headed for the exit, depositing her tray along the way.

Laura felt jacked-up, despite her depleting adrenaline. Her heart fluttered as it tried to return to a normal rhythm. If her experiences over the last week were anything to go by, then getting caught talking to anyone—including her Level Five colleagues—was not a good idea. She hoped the authorities would view Sixteen's proximity as an oversight rather than a deliberate attempt to make contact.

Laura battled the urge to take out the letters and read them; she had to assume eyes were on her, as she'd been told they were. She forced herself to stay seated for a further five agonising minutes before leaving the cafeteria.

On her way back to Level Five, she stopped in the bathroom, slipped into one cubicle and locked the door behind her. She removed the letters from her waistband and peeled away the micro file, holding it in the palm of her hand. It was the size of an old Australian two-dollar coin with a tiny wire-feed extruding from one end. This was meant to be viewed through a monitor. She couldn't risk hooking it up at her workstation. Any deviation from her regular tasks would ​ raise the alarm.

Laura had to know what was on the file and in the letters. Why would Sixteen risk giving them to her if they weren't important? Then a thought came to her; the hardware control unit for the Light Box in her apartment could accept files. She didn't know if they were monitoring her activity at home. She'd have to take the risk.

Laura shrugged off her jacket and unbuttoned her blouse. She ripped a small hole in the fabric of her bra and slipped the micro file between the padding, then folded and tucked the letters into the back of her underwear where they wouldn't slip down her leg. She washed her hands and tidied her appearance. Then she took a deep breath and went back to work, to pretend like she was involved in nothing that could get her fired.